What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG vs JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThWind81

I am putting together a website for my Aunt who is an artist. I took pictures of her paintings in RAW format (CR2). I open with Photoshop and make minor level adjustments and resize the image to about 800pixels wide by whatever the length of the cropped painting is. I first saved as a jpeg and immediately noticed a loss in color. The picture lost it's "pop" and a lot of her paintings are "popping" with color. I then tried "save for web" and noticed that the program wanted to save a gif. The gif looked awful because I could see small blocks that looked like pixels in certain areas. The PNG format looks the best but is about twice the size of my jpegs. Because I need the images to look as good as possible.. would PNG work for the website? or are there settings for saving a jpeg without losing the color? (jpeg preferred because of the file size). Thanks very much!

im407

Why don't you fine adjust the quality of the image. You can manually raise and lower the quality of a png and jpeg.

Jiax

PNG is lossless and basically designed for web use. Because it doesn't discard any color information, your PNG files will be bigger. You can always save .jpg files at a higher quality level if you're working from orginals, but the size of file will increase as you increase quality (less compression, less loss of color info).

If you want to use background transparency and background matting, then go .png. But if you're just concerned about quality, save your .jpg files at maximum quality and they should look fine.

pswift

I first saved as a jpeg and immediately noticed a loss in color. The picture lost it's "pop" and a lot of her paintings are "popping" with color!

With Jpeg you shouldn't have a major loss of color. Either your Jpeg quality settings are too low or your system is not well calibrated.

dworx

png files are heavy but don't loose quality. But i still suggest you to use jpg format, it is lighter and the quality of picture is adjustable.

massy

First you need to save that page in save as from original.During saving a image there is no effect in image quality.
Jpeg is good format for quality save of a image.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Guys, this thread is from 2010. The OP is long gone. I hope by now he and his aunty are happy with the quality of their pix online, lol!

I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.