What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jonathann

I want to get into school for this, some people say it's hard and others say it's the best.
Even if it's hard I want to design web sites for a living and work to learn Flash as well.
I like making websites, it's all I know how to do.

Anyone doing this for a living now?
Please discuss.

Yutosi

Power User
Re: How Amazing This Is

I do web design work for a developer. It's a challenging field now because there are so many people doing it, but creativity and innovation will always set you apart from the rest of the crowd. I usually try to stay away from the big trends and do something a little different.

If you stay away from corporate/cookie cutter type of design work and focus on artistic creative design, you can build a good portfolio of creative work and then you can ask for a higher price for your services.

It's a good idea to have a few blogs of your own as well, because these could eventually account for a significant part of your income.

iDad

Guru

Too funny Yu...........New Dork. LOL

Gaussian

Retired Administrator

Haha, that's an awesome vid!

I think with web design it's important to go for quality over quantity, as Yutosi said it will pay off more in the end.

It helps if you can learn a bit of coding as well.... seems that PHP and MySQL are all the rage right now but you have to keep up on the latest and greatest which is always changing.

KRF

Power User

Haha, that's an awesome vid!

I think with web design it's important to go for quality over quantity, as Yutosi said it will pay off more in the end.

It helps if you can learn a bit of coding as well.... seems that PHP and MySQL are all the rage right now but you have to keep up on the latest and greatest which is always changing.

Yeah like Googles HTML 5 that not even stanerdised, so what will happen is, they will do a set standard for HTML 5 and google will call what they are using HTML 6

But web disgn, now that funny and as this thread is about site like FaceBook and Twitter, I have something you may all wanna know about :)

Ok, this one is really getting scary... and a further reminder to minimise your (known) online presence as much as you possibly can:

Schneier on Security: Monitoring Employees' Online Behavior

The article is about a company that provides software/services to swarm all over a persons online presence on social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, even Flickr!) to try and summarise your personality and life! They sell this service to potential employers to use on job candidates or existing employees, with this sort of scare story:

Now the other option to trying to reduce your online footprint is to go for the overload approach: Create a hundred or so Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc accounts, put absolute crap in them, fill them full of all the weirdest stuff you can think of (along with some apparent completely normal and boring ones). Make sure they all are close enough in name/age/location to yourself, and see what happens :D

If only people did something about there own private data