What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frontpage/Dreamweaver

ljiljana

Guru
I need help:
What is the best, easy and safe way to transfer website from Frontpage to Dreamweaver?
Thanks!

theKeeper

Guru
What, if any, are the specific issues you think you'll be faced with Lily?

I'm thinking that you must have some, or you wouldn't have posted this question. ;)

ljiljana

Guru
The codes are different, in a way, and I know that Front page coding needs to be cleaned up!
My web site has a lot of pages, and just before I start doing anything it comes to me very natural, to ask you for advice.
Googling about this , tooke me to some extentions from Macromedia, ( that is for dreamwaever 2004!).
Should I just Import pages from Front page?
Any suggestions will be very appreciated.
Thanks Mark!

theKeeper

Guru
Well if you have extensions that will help clean up the FP code, then i think it'll be fine if you use that method. It might be an idea though to perhaps test those extensions on a dummy page first to be sure they'll work decently. I think DW will tell you though upon installation whether an extension is compatible or not. So you won't have to watse your time testing.
However, still be prepared to have to do a wee bit'o cleanup afterword. After all... nothing is full-proof i'm sure you know. ;)

That's about all you can really do for this i think Lily. Otherwise, what else might one do to prepare? Not much i would think.

I would think that so long as after the conversion, your pages still look right visually, you've been successful. That for me would be about the only telltail sign.

ljiljana

Guru
Thanks , Mark. 8))
I have few days very busy, but I will let you know how I am doing sometime next week. ;)

a_kanna230

Dreamweaver

Adobe Dreamweaver is a web development application originally created by Macromedia and now owned by Adobe Systems, which acquired Macromedia in 2005.

BodogLife commercial hard money

D

dumferio

Just add your website folder to Dreamweaver and thats it. But you'll lose frontpage extension supported applications.

7Hunters

I agree with dumferio - remember that both frontpage and dreamweaver are HTML editors. That's it - editors. So you will be in good shape moving from one to the other.

The 'code that needs cleaned up' is called "depricated tags" and those are generally font tags and older code. Additionally sometimes frontpage uses frontpage extensions that are supported only on older servers running frontpage extensions. Eventually these were phased out due to security issues and they were replaced with better options. So if you rely on these extensions you may have certain content not work anymore.

Most likely however all you need to do is define a site in Dreamweaver. This is probably the hardest part of using the program but there are a ton of great tutorials online. I think you'll enjoy Dreamweaver, I find it much easier to use then Frontpage (which now has gone away entirely to be replaced by Microsoft's Expression).

Cheers - Seven