What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb Extremely Confused by PhotoShop

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer180

I just got PS and I literally can't accomplish the most basic of tasks. For example, I open a picture from my computer and it just opens but I can't select it, resize it, etc. This is just an example- I can use Paint all day to mess around with images(obviously Paint can't really do much) and I've never seen a Paint tutorial in my life. It just makes common sense. With PS I see all these buttons and none of them seem to do anything important- but yet I can't even figure out how to do basic functions. What are the best online tutorials for beginners?

ibclare

Queen Bee
The web can be a confusing place to find basic PS tutorials that aren't geared toward one tool or some special effect you're not ready to create. You can search; you can search this forum also. But . . . my advice is lynda.com. You can take some of the very basic classes for free, but after a few, you will have to become a member to continue. If you haven't much money, it's still worth at least a month's investment if you have the time to devote to soak up the information. It's only $25/month which is really cheap for really excellent video tutorials. And if you need to learn any other program (and I mean that literally) you're in the right place.

inkpad.t

Guru
Understand where your coming from there... i am a newbie myself.. so this might be incorrect but when i first open photoshop for the first time the marque tool was tool selected by default... and i realy didn't know how to do things..( still don't ). there is an arrow at the top of the tool bar on the left ( depending on your layout of photoshop ) that you can select and this will allow you to select your layers/pics etc... for your pics try selecting the edit button then the free transform tool to resize your pic... you can also try selecting the image button then image size or other settings... Hope this helps and foolgive me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
No, you're not wrong.

If for some reason you want to transform the size of the image, go to image>image size and set your new dimensions. The transform tool can be used, but any layer will still be newly sized within the original canvas, the doc size you started with.

Transform (edit>transform or ctl/cmd + T) is usually used to transform elements of the image, such as a png of a person (with png transparency for the background of the person). If you wish to see the borders of the transform bounding box, and you presently can't, hit the escape key. Choose the zoom tool and shrink the picture till the transform box fits or resize the window larger than the canvas if you have the leeway.

The arrow is the move tool and keyboard shortcut is "V." You can select a layer no matter what tool is active. You can ctl/cmd click on an object to have the layer chosen/selected. You are right that the move key will choose and move objects. I like to select it as a default myself so I don't accidentally brush something, etc.! Guess I'm kind of a clod that way :mrgreen:

Last edited:

inkpad.t

Guru
Not wrong.... not wrong.....:surprised::surprised: ooooooohhhhhh now i know i am on the right tracks and getting some where.. Some times i don't reply to threads being a newbie... just think i will look stupid with the answer or give the person asking the question the wrong advise..

Yeh i know what you mean about clod... i don't know what clod means but i wonderd way everyone keeps calling me a clod hopper ?..:cheesygrin:

ibclare

Queen Bee
LOL, clumsy oaf might work for clodhopper! I searched for a derivation. These kinds of old expressions are anybody's guess, but this one gave several ideas http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/clod-hopper.html

Wait till you feel more experienced to jump in on answers that aren't in your range of experience, but don't hesitate if you know the answer, are pretty sure you know the answer, know the direction it should or might go, and so forth. You're probably right or on the right track and members can assist you and the OP to get the full explanation. Then again, there are some answers that are educated guesses. So . . .

And never forget, if there's one way to do something in Photoshop, doubtless there are two ways, or three, or more. :mrgreen:

dworx

I recommend you go for some free online video tutorials on photoshop. Videos are easy and you can learn from them really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.