What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving sliced .psd for web use...optimizing for ALL web browsers

aweeeezy

Hello all,

I'm new to using many of the more advanced parts of photoshop and I have a client who has me design these newsletters that are sent as an e-blast to his customers. After designing the file, I slice, add hyperlinks, and then export for web use.

After my first time doing this, one of his customers replied to the e-blast saying the formatting was all messed up. I looked up how to save as CSS (Edit Output Settings < check box: Output XHTML < under Slices: Generate CSS) I hope this does is what I'm supposed to do.

This client has asked me to do another newsletter, but he wants to make sure that there are no more formatting issues for different web browsers...can anyone provide any input as to the right way to do this?

Thank you!
-Alex

theKeeper

Guru
Hi Alex.

That's a fairly open-ended topic i'm afraid. There's no sure-fire way to make sure that everyone receiving that letter will have their system/email client setup to see the letter exactly as you intended. Not even the magical CSS formatting can promise that.

You would probably do better to use the old standard of HTML instead. It's much more backward compatible and far less likely to 'break', or create layout issues that would result in poor visual formatting. Nothing can be 100% for sure though.

That's what i would do.
Hope that helps/works.

Take care.
Mark... (aka theKeeper)...

aweeeezy

Thanks for the reply Mark.

Dang :/

Well, considering I didn't toy with the Output Settings at all before, maybe omitting the step for generating CSS might be alright. Isn't XHTML much more common than HTML nowadays though?

-Alex

theKeeper

Guru
It's not a big deal Alex.
Your letter will look exactly the same.
And xhtml has nothing to do with CSS. You can still use that doc type.
Just change the CSS formatting to html tables instead.

Try it, see how it works, and let me know.

PS: if you could find out the system and email client specs of the person(s) who's having the issues with the letter, you might be able to narrow down exactly how to fix the issue. But without that knowledge, you'll be better off using a more rock solid formatting method; ala tables.

Mark...