What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas anyone?

ChrisHPZ

Power User
So this morning I was listening to Ancient Aliens on YouTube and started tinkering with a website layout. Really don't know where to go from here as I'm out of ideas. It's not going to be a real website, as far as I know but knowing me that might change. To be honest, aside from the jQuery on the navigation and the Facebook comments box it doesn't get more basic than this. http://www.cdemarco.net/alien

chrisix

Guru
the bottom of the grey planes arn't aligned. And they are just too... plain

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Where do you see planes? And I'm aware that this layout is plain that's why I typed "To be honest, aside from the jQuery on the navigation and the Facebook comments box it doesn't get more basic than this." I think that indicates how much aware I am that this site is plain.

cya

Hey Chris,

your right it looks a bit plain... =) you kind of lack that mysterious look/feeling and I would change up the header image, that one doesn't quite capture the unknown of the universe.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
May I ask why there is jQuery on the navigation, what is it supposed to be doing.

Well sprucemagoo, the idea was to use a plugin called jQuery Color that allows for transitions between one color to another. This can also be done with CSS 3 transitions as well, but it wouldn't work with the ancient browsers such as IE8 and below. So the plan was to use this plugin, and initiate a hover event that when a user hovered over a top-level li tag, the entire navigation bar would animate from one color to another. Unfortunately, there's a snag in the plugin that makes the target, in this case the nav bar, revert to a white background and then it keeps flashing. Truth be told, I didn't look at the code in the plugin very much to see if I could fix it.

In going a different route with the navigation and jQuery, I left the script in there because I still wanted the nav bar to change colors when the top-level li tags are hovered over rather than make a global li:hover selector.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Don't forget, no ancient aliens website is complete without this guy.

View attachment 27040

LOL, RT I was toying with the idea of including some sort of video gallery of Ancient Aliens episodes on this site. Seasons 1 through 5 are on YouTube. But I have mixed feelings. For one, I don't want this to be like a tribute to the show because it's famous enough without my help. Number two, and this might seem petty, but I can't stand working with the YouTube video player. It really is a pain in the @$$ and it doesn't always cooperate with IE 8 and below.

Anyway, made some updates today to the footer section like the inclusion of a site map and a contact form. Had to ditch the old alien.html file and save it out as a .php file since the contact form is in php. Now comes the fun part of further researching the content I'd like to include.
http://www.cdemarco.net/alien.php

Last edited:
As a very silent protest, I refuse to use Internet Explorer, simply for the reason of it being complete pants.

I do love jQuery by the way.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
I don't use it either Sm, but the respectable part of me commands me to test my web work for functionality across all browsers. Personally though, IE 8 and below should have some kind of self-deleting program in it just so people keep their browsers up to date. As much as I hate to say it though, IE 9 is really not that bad to develop for.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
W3C gives global usage stats if I remember correctly. At work, we have a Google Analytics account and I learned that 60% of people who view the websites we own use IE. Unfortunately, I don't know what version they are using.