What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navbar

gautamz07

Power User
Hey Guys , I am working in bootstrap 3.0 and came across the below picture on the web , how do i make a similar navbar for a website , any Jquery plugin (preferably light weight and also responsive) that i can learn and implement to achieve the same effect .

On hover that particular tab should slide down . or do i even need a Jquery Plugin or can i just use CSS3 ? something like "scale(1.5em)" ?

Please advice me . Thank you :D :D :D

Gautam .

MrToM

Guru
There's no image but most navbars follow the same logic anyway, only the styling really changes.

HTML5 and CSS3 is a winning combination and they are both on-going in development so getting better all the time. Javascript has always been a very powerful tool and used with the above makes writing web-based code very easy.

As far as JQuery is concerned well, yes, in the times when HTML5 didn't exist and CSS was still in its infancy it had its place, making javascript do things that would otherwise be above and beyond the average coder.

Nowadays the use of JQuery is in decline, there are many other similar tools, but it too is still being developed and evolving into something better...namely, JQuery 2.

If you can though, try not to use JQuery initially, (or similar libraries like Mootools), if you are venturing into the web design world its far better to learn how to do things without pre-written libraries, you'll learn so much more.

Transitions are the latest thing with CSS3 and are much easier to code than JQuery, for something as simple as a navbar you wouldn't need very much code to produce a dynamic element. Transitions will work with virtually any CSS property of an element that can be changed, and its super smooth too.

Have a search around the net for CSS3 transitions, you'll find lots about them including full code for navbars which you can easily modify to fit your requirements.

Adam Khoury has many excellent, easy to follow, video tutorials on HTML5, CSS3, PHP, JavaScript etc... etc.... with practical examples...highly recommended.

Above all, have fun doing it.

Regards.
MrTom.

gautamz07

Power User
MrTom , thank you so much for taking the time and being elaborate , i use Jquery alot , but have used CSS-3 too, many times , but am well versed with neither, I realised Jquery is on the decline , even google recommends not using plug ins . You recommended adam khoury and i'am a fan of him :D

Actually , went and searched on google and found http://www.script-tutorials.com/demos/96/index.html , which is exactly wht i was looking for , now will go and try and integrate it in bootstrap , lets see if i can .

When u say , we should't use libraries , ur right , maybe one day me should just sit and learn proper CSS and Plain JS .

Once again , thank you for your inputs .

Gautam.

MrToM

Guru
Excellent.

Yeah, that's the ticket!
That shows the power of CSS3 nicely, no JS, no libraries, easy as falling off a log.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrTom.