What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will PScc double-profile a Srgb image if using Save for Web with Convert to Srgb

francklouis

The question is:

Will PScc double-profile and cause image degradation if myimage is already in the Srgb color space and I use the save for web feature andtick the box “convert to Srgb”. In fact, does ticking the box do anything atall to an image already in Srgb color space? Is it best to leave it unticked inthis case?

The other concern is, do websites remove the embedded profileof Srgb which you created using the Save for Web command in PScc when youupload the image to the website. In that case, what is the whole point of usingSave for Web in the first place?
Thanks for any help with this coshmar,

Frank

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi franck
Just saw you post though its been posted 10 days ago. Here is my take
- If you are in sRGB it does not double profile when going through Save for Web with the box "convert to sRGB checked" I would leave it check as you do want a conversion it your image was in a different color space and it does not hurt if you are already in sRGB.
- In my experience very few web sites remove the sRGB profile for images so it is not a waste of time. I believe it is he minority that remove the embedded ICC profile. Now if you are talking about icons and widgets or other web components that can be numerous in use and the color rendition is not critical, then for those elements there is not real need to add the ICC profile.
- For images having an embedded profile can still help. Not all browsers will assume using sRGB for color management if they find no embedded profile. Some browser/OS combinations will just send the color date directly to the monitor. A wide gamut monitor would look overly saturated with an sRGB image sent directly to the monitor due to missing ICC profile in some cases.

Bottom line recommendation from me is to leave the checkbox for convert to sRGB checked and also check the box to embed the profile with the image with the exception being non image color small color elements such as icons etc where color accuracy is less crticial.

Just my opinion of course.