What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reducing size of a Image saved as PNG-24

gautamz07

Power User
Hey guys , how are you all doing ? i really miss u'll :D

i have a small question :

i have an image file saved as a png-24 and i need to reduce its size drastically as its really slowing page load time .

slide3.png

i have 2 other images that need to be reduced in size , currently , they are around close to 1 MB , i need to reduce them to somewhere around 100 - 150 kb ?

saving in pNG- 8 is not an option i guess because for some reason , some white particles appear in the background.

Thanks.

Gautam.

MrToM

Guru
Hi Guatam.

160KB was the best I could do without it looking terrible...

slide3_MT_01.png

You need to clean up your image in order to use PNG-8....it does not support variable transparency and as you've seen will replace it with white.

1: CTRL + Click the layer thumbnail to make a selection based on pixels with more than 50% transparency.
2: Invert the selection and hit DELETE two or three times to completely delete any pixels outside your image.

I notice you have some drop shadow there but unfortunately in order to reduce the file size that shadow will have to go....unless you recreate it without transparency...ie, shades of grey.

3: Use 'Save For Web'.....PNG-8.....Colors = 32, Metadata = None, Convert to sRGB = Checked.

I also tried Super PNG but the best I got there was 291KB.

Regards.
MrTom.

gautamz07

Power User
Honestly never taught it would be possible :D Thanks alot though , that will probably help my page speed a lot . mine came down to 158kb .

i did exactly what u mentioned . selecting the image by clicking on it , then inverting the selection , press delete 2-3 times and than save it with the settings u mentioned . Absolutely perfect !

slide3.png

Thanks alot MrTom :D :D

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Like I said, PNG-8 supports transparency but only in a pure on / off condition. Any pixel with any transparency, even just 1%, will therefore get replace with white.....or to be more precise the 'matte' colour.

If you have to have the transparency in the image then what you've done is about as good as it can be. OTOH if you know what the background colour is and can guarantee it wont change then you could just use the background colour in the image itself or set the 'matte' colour.

This may enable higher compression and a smaller filesize still but I don't know if you can have a coloured background or not.

Anyway, glad its working for you.

Regards.
MrTom.

thebestcpu

Guru
Thanks Tom
Learned something extra about PNG 8 with your posts. Here are a few more thoughts (though late to the game)

- The image is quite large for most web pages. Unless you need that images size/resolution on your web page, you get large savings by resizing to the final size you need rather than keep the extra pixels to just have the browser downsize it for you.

- Here is a another approach to remove the transparency totally
-- Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency (this creates a Layer Mask from any transparent bits)
-- Option/Alt click on Layer mask thumbnail in Layers Panel (to display the mask)
-- Image > Adjustments > Threshold and accept the result with the slider as defaulted in the middle
-- Right Click on Layer Mask thumbnail in Layers panel and choose "Apply Layer Mask"

You are not back to the embedded transparency image with pixels only being fully opaque or fully transparent.

Hope the incremental information is helpful.

gautamz07

Power User
MrTom ! Thanks , will keep that in mind , Thanks for sharing soo much with me .
thebestcpu , will try ur method too dude :D thanks a ton .

BTW , i really love the snowflakes on this forum ! Its really really awesome :D

MERRY CHRISMAS EVERYONE ! OFF to home in a couple of days .. Until than BYe bye .