What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Policy on web updates for new clients?

The_Dsigner

To my fellow web designers:

What are your policies on updates to new clients and their website? After I build a site and get the o.k from the client that its pretty much done and approved I usually give them a week to make or add any minor changes before I start changing.

What does everyone else do? and what fees do you charge usually?

MrToM

Guru
It depends what you call an 'update' and who instigates it.

If the design is open to 'updates' at the client request then that should be factored into the contract.
If, OTOH, you decide to 'update' it and its agreed by the client then you can't really charge the client for something they didn't ask for.

I used to make sure that the absolute 'end result' was always in writing (as much as it can be in the digital world) and agreed by both parties first....well before pen touches tablet.

If you've done your job right and the 'end result' is as agreed then that's when I would get the client to 'sign it off' as finished, and, from that point on, any changes would be chargeable.....whether you call them 'updates' pr not depends on your definition of 'update'.

The skill comes in getting the client to agree to the point at which 'Its finished'. A web 'design' is never really finished as it can always be added to....regardless.

This is one of the reasons I gave up on design....I would always do way more than originally specified and spend way too much time without any recompense.....and its unlikely you'll get the same 'individual' client asking for another design so it just didn't pay to be generous.

Its a tricky one, granted, and I don't think there is a definitive answer...you just have to go with the flow and use your best judgement.....which is hopefully better than mine! :rofl:

Web design is easy......dealing with the client is the difficult part.

Regards.
MrToM.

The_Dsigner

Web design is easy......dealing with the client is the difficult part.

I couldn't have said it better Mr. Tom. I'm asking because I have done several websites where the client and I have always had a verbal understanding on the terms of the agreement of what is going to take place on my end and the cost and how far that goes. This time though I'm dealing with a client who is ...well changes his mind quite often and to the point where I'm going to have to put it in writing on the invoice of what is included and what isn't. I've never had to do that before as I've always reached an understanding with the people I work for.

MrToM

Guru
Yeah....you're kind of in that 'twilight zone'.....past the 'in writing' stage unfortunately.

"Change their mind quite often...", that's the phrase alright.

If the client is likely to give you any more work in the future then it makes sense to bite your lip and keep them sweet. OK, so you may lose out on this one but does the prospect of more work outweigh that?

If not, tell it to them straight.....what have you got to lose? I'd tell them after payment though, stating that you've already gone above and beyond the initial requisite but its got to a point where you have to inform them that time is money, and they've ran out of time......tell them you have another client waiting or something....but don't state specific times.

I'd give them one more change and then tell them that its it....you have other clients waiting and unless they compensate you for the delay in starting other work then it has to stop here.

Like I said, web design is easy.....clients are not.

Good luck, sorry not to be of any more [positive] help.

Regards.
MrToM.