What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Einstein in Technicolor

Bry

So I was looking up ideas for photo-manipulation, when it hit me that I could simply treat photoshop like an advanced coloring book for vintage black and white photos.

And I feel addicting to this now, even though I've only done one thus far: Einstein

Now, it's not the basic coloring technique you see in a lot of youtube tutorials. I decided to use luminosity as a blending option and color beneath the original photo layer. I also used a picture of an old man in color, as color reference for Einstein's face. You'll notice the yellows and reds and such when you see it below.

While it may seem time consuming, this actually only took me about a half an hour, so you may notice some color-overlapping and such.

Original Image:

einsteinbw.jpg

Modified Image:

einsteincolor.jpg

Overall it looks really good.

I think you are lacking some definition in the shadows though, because they were darker in the original image. You could try restoring some detail in the shadow areas, or make them darker. Just a suggestion.

Nice job thanks for posting.

Well, I made a conscious decision to make it brighter so you could see a white light source reflect off his skin and hair better (specifically the nose), as it added optimal realism compared to just leaving it a beige tint.

considering he probably started with 72 dpi and jpg I think it looks excellent! bravo Bry!

You did a great job on the skin! I see so many coloration projects like this that really botch the skin color. This looks very warm. Beautiful!

That said, I think the face a little more realism to it's color, as if it was shot with a modern camera. The sweater has less contrast which makes it look like an older film stock.

I'm fairly new to PS and I have to say that this looks really good to me.
If it only took half an hour........well done!

Well done, That's a really great technique rather than brushing over - Never thought of that, will have to have a little go at it and make some family bday prezzies :)

Well done, you should look at the sweater, on the arm, it has kinda different color tints to it.

View attachment 4682
You inspired me to give it a go so here is my first attempt at painting a black and white picture I do however want to point out I was going more for obvious digitally imposed image as to natural but do realise there are some rough areas like the hairline for example but was amnazed at how simple it was and only took about 15 mins will give it a go with some high quality images and spend some time on it thank you for some inspiration

I love that pic of Einstein, and your colored version brings it to life, I do agree about the shadows though. You've inspired me to work on my own coloration project of that picture, thanks!

Back