What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Painting of My Girlfriend. PSCS5 Mixer Brush and Pixel Bender Way.

MightyZeus

This is my seventh attempt at using the mixer brush and for the first time I think that I've finally grasped it's potential and wits. I used the pixel bender plugin for the background and her hair and for her face I painstakingly had to trace every detail of her face. I'd appreciate your criticism on the matter as I stated I'm fairly new to PSCS5, after I found out about this feature I migrated from Corel Paint Pro. X. Feedback please, I want to grow in PSCS5.

Attachments

• ANITAWAM.jpg
    ANITAWAM.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 8
  • anita2.jpg
    anita2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

MightyZeus

By the way I blurred all the edges on her picture as paintings don't have sharp edges.

MightyZeus

Thanks Hoogle, but I'd appreciate way's of making it look better or other techniques you pro's would have gone for. I'm really looking for a critique. Any better techniques or suggestions, anyone?

Vafann

Guru
Now that I´ve looked some more at it, maybe you could ad a bit of the shininess of her lips that the photo had before?

ibclare

Queen Bee
My take: very nice. I'm impressed. My only suggestion is that you put the same luminosity into her face that you gave the background. Maybe even draw the BG down a bit to keep it more BG -- my eye gets drawn away from her face.. For eg: her eyes have lost the shine they have in the photo and even her hair could use some shimmer. But hey, I've got to try this, it's a beautiful technique.

MightyZeus

Thank you all for the comments, I appreciate them, they're all very sound and should make the painting better I'll definitely try them out and post the results on here.

Hoogle

Guru
but just a bit of advice as a photographer can I just point out all though for the image it looks good but the composistion of the image is wrong yes it is good you have used the rules of 3rds and her posistioning is great but you have a great sunset in the background to the left but the model is lit from the front and to the right so you could create a new layer paint in black over the highlites set the blending mode to colour/overlay or whatever works best then lower the opacity of the layer to give it a neutral look then create a new layer and do the same in white on her left side and show highlites coming through from the other side but that is me being to critical but overall it is a great pic well done

Paul

Former Member
I got rid of the light on her face, it's not correct in original. also did some tweaks to her smile and the grass area, a couple of colour and contrast passes:)

Attachments

• anita2.png
    anita2.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 37

Hoogle

Guru
now if only I did that to start off with lol all though trying to resist doing anything complicated due to the fear of loosing another copy of a render I am doing did you use mny image for that if so then your contrasting as highlited a mistake I made on the lower lip so thanks a lot lol

Hoogle

Guru
its ok I was actually looking at my pic at the time lol its amazing what a bit of colour adjutment does all though with mine I took the original original pic and layered her back in a bit to get the gloss and shine back a few colour overlays removed the shadow under eye and added soime slight HDR effects to it just goes to show so many different ways to almost come out with same outcome got to love photoshop

MightyZeus

Can't thank you enough guys for your efforts. Hoogleman...I love what you did with her eyes and lips, that shimmer brought the picture to life. Bilial that was incredible what you did with her smile even, lighting moreso. Again thank you all, guess then that there'll b no need for me to do a practical consideration of all the suggestions forwarded to me. Definately learned a lot from this. Expect the next one to be far better and realistic.

Hoogle

Guru
Well I am glad you liked our input now all you need is a quality resize and yu have some new living room art once you get it printed on a canvas

Burned Ice

Power User
pretty nice done, i truely love the way the grass looks like

Inkygirl

Sorry not to have useful critiquing comments here, but I just had to say this is a wonderful portrait of your girlfriend! Has she seen it yet?

Debbie

MightyZeus

Thank you Inkgirl and yes she's seen it and loved it. She already printed it...I'll give her the edited versions from Hoogleman and Belial and see what she thinks of that. I know she'll love them.