What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color from Greyscale-My Version of Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother (1936)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Here is my colorized version of Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother photo from 1936 during the Great Depression. I tried to maintain the mood of the image, as that was a very dark time in our Nation's history. Many of you young people on here have no idea how bad this was. I was born after it happened but my parents, and my brother spoke of what really hard times were then. This photo portrayed it very well I think. This family undoubtedly had migrated to California to find work picking peas. This woman was 32 yrs old at the time and had 7 children, living in a tent. Now, that's hard times!
Migrant Mother rgb.jpg
Library of Congress source file
Migrant Mother GS.jpg

inkpad.t

Guru
Only just came across this from another thread... wish i could do something like that...its great... but i did notice that the thumb and part of a hand in the bottom r/h corner is coloured the same as the cloth and the tree.

ALB68

Only just came across this from another thread... wish i could do something like that...its great... but i did notice that the thumb and part of a hand in the bottom r/h corner is coloured the same as the cloth and the tree.

I did this some time ago and it was posted here. I guess it got bumped up because I linked to it as demo in another thread last week.
As to the color of the cloth and the hand..I have an excuse..I'm OLD :rofl: I guess I didn't recognize that has her hand.

Edit: I think you are referring to what appears to possibly be a thumb holding back the tent by the edge. Good catch on that if that is actually what we're seeing there.
The baby in the blanket is also colored incorrectly. I just noticed it. I am going to post a new version of this on this thread making those corrections and hopefully my technique will have improved since this one was done.

Last edited:

ALB68

Here's a fresh one as of today Dec. 21, 2014

Attachments

• Migrant Mother color edited.png
    Migrant Mother color edited.png
    553.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

ALB68

Wonderful.. Only wish i could do this type of stuff... really like it.. thanks for sharing it.

Why can't you? If I can..anybody can. Just takes a little patience and some decent selecting ability.

ALB68

@hawkeye
You treated the sweater on the woman differently from me which I think is correct. I viewed that as part of the boys garment as being a baggy old shirt. I may change mine based on your interpretation. Like your color selections and tones too. Good job!

Edit: One thing though, I don't think the people in yours look grundgy enough. You know these folks were living in a tent without any running water etc. I intentionally tried to maintain the look of being in bad circumstances.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
The skin tones are especially good, Hawkeye. For a moment, when I first saw it, I thought I was looking at a long lost color photo. :)

Tom M

Very good result and clean work gedstar ...maybe just a bit too much contrast, you lost details in the blacks.

ALB68

Good work gedstar. Take it back in though and go to Image/Adjustments/Shadow and Highlights and recover your detail and it will look great!

ALB68

I like your grunge. The way these poor people had to live they had to be grungy, so the look is more authentic.