What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real 3D Type -- using Layer Styles

theKeeper

Guru
Recently i posted this effect on the PST boards, and thought that since it turned out quite well, i'd share it with our gang here too.

The initial technique for this effect was brought to my attention by Greg Vander Houwen. I've modified its application somewhat, to create a new look/effect.

This particular effect is VERY simple to achieve, specifically because of the "Layer Style" filters in PS6 & up. It's a great example of just how powerful these filters can be if used creatively.

1) Create your type layer. Type something simple for now. Use PSG if you want to directly compare your results with mine.

2) Apply the filters as seen in this, and the following posts (scroll down below this post to the example images containing the settings). Use those settings to start with and tweak 'em after if you like. By the way... the gradient i used was a custom "multi-level" metallic gradient. You can use one of the default "Metallic" presets for now. And the Contour setting within the Bevel & Emboss section, is left at default.

3) Press Ctrl/Cmd+J to duplicate the type layer. Then open the EDIT>Transform>Scale filter and increase the height & width to 101%. Click the large checkmark on the far right side of the Options Bar to apply the change.

4) Now just repeat step 3 several times in a row ( count the number of repeats you do! ). You can do this very quickly by pressing Ctrl/Cmd+J then Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+T. The amount of repeats will depend completely on how 'thick/deep' you want your 3D effect to be. When you're done the repeat process, merge all of the new type layers down to one layer ( link them all together and press Ctrl/Cmd+E ) EXCEPT for the initial type layer you made. Leave that one by itself. We need that layer for the reflection.
  • TIP: We're working from the bottom layer upward, and in the image, from the back to the front. That is how we're "building" our effect.
5) Because our type has a depth now, just copying and flipping it over will not work for a realistic reflection. Instead, we need to do step 3? over again, but we need to nudge our type layer down 1 pixel as well as scaling it up.

So now, duplicate the single original type layer you made and move this duplicate below the other type layers -- our reflection needs to appear behind our main type.
Then repeat step 3 but after scaling, nudge the type layer down 1 pixel as well.
  • TIP: look along the far left side of the Options Bar. You'll see some X & Y coordinates boxes. Click your mouse in the Y box, and tap the UP arrow key once. Then click the large checkmark at the far right side of the Options Bar to apply the changes. [/list:u] And now repeat the shortcut keys given at the start of step 4; don't forget to count the number of repeats you do! They need to be the exact same amount as you did for the main text.

6) When you have the reflection text created and all merged down onto one layer, flip the type over vertically and move it down below the main text so that the bottoms meet exactly. Add a Layer Mask to this layer and apply a black-to-white Linear Grad over just the text. The black needs to be on the bottom. This'll fade out our reflection. Then lower the Opacity to 50%.

7) And last is our perspective shadow. Select the text on the main type layer, as well as the original type layer. Add a new layer below the main type and fill the selection with black. Deselect. Then gBlur the shadow 1.5 pixels. Use the EDIT>Transform>Scale filter to scale the shadow down to around 1/3rd the normal text height. Then use the EDIT>Transform>Perspective filter and change the perspective of the top of the shadow text. The top of the shadow text should be narrower than the bottom.

Change the solid bg colour to a very subtle white-to-light grey... add a few blurry white streaks across the 'floor' in front of the type, and we're done!? :perfect:

NOTE: If you decide to create your type either smaller or larger than what is shown here, you may encounter a visible border between each of the separate type layers. So the depth effect will not look smooth. In this case, you need to change the scale amount from 1% down to .5%. That should fix this issue. If it does not for you, then change the scale amount to .25% instead. This reduces the visible space between the separate type layers; which will make the effect smooth. However, the trade off is that you'll need more layers. But that's no biggy. ;)

Any questions/comments about this tutorial/effect can be addressed in the "General Photoshop" board.

This is what the gradient style i used looks like. It's a custom design, so you'll have to load this image into PS and sample the colours in order to reproduce this style for yourself.

Back