What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngeddie

I have worked in Photoshop for many years creating illustrations. After upgrading to Photoshop CS5 (a part of the Production Premium) I started getting an error message when opening some files. After working on some artwork, I put it away. Then the next day when I try to open the file, some of the files refused to open with the error message,

"Could not complete your request (to open the file) because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered."

This is very frustrating because I'm on deadline with a children's book and I'm have to redo artwork.

I spent several hours with two different tech people at Adobe today, and they couldn't help me.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd love to figure what to do differently to stop this from happening.

Thanks!!! Eddie

Screen shot 2010-09-17 at 9.36.22 PM.png

What other info can you give us...OS, comp specs etc?

When I upgraded to CS5 I needed a computer running Snow Leopard so I got a Mac Mini running 10.6.4.

I've tried rebooting, zapping the pram, repairing permissions and running Disk Warrior. I'm still getting the "unexpected end of file" message on some of my files.

What is doing this, and how can I avoid it?

Please let me know.

Thanks!!! Eddie

So sorry... Yes I can see the thumbnail in Bridge, but when I double click it to open it in Photoshop I get the "unexpected end of file" message.

So sorry... Yes I can see the thumbnail in Bridge, but when I double click it to open it in Photoshop I get the "unexpected end of file" message.
Well maybe that means the images aren't corrupt and you have a PS problem.
iDad may be able to help you with the Mac OS questions, I have a PC.
Again, have you tried a cold re-boot, turning off the computer then back on?

Try resetting the preferences file:
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...-reset-photoshop-preferences-windows-mac.html

Only hope I see here is backup if you have one

That's a shame, they should have that reset button disabled while ps is going through certain cycles. Hope it works out for ya man..

Thanks very much for your help with the problems I'm having regarding the "unexpected end of file" error.

I attempted to open a file that I worked on for several hours yesterday, and even though nothing unusual happened when I saved it, and I reopened it twice to make sure the file was okay... today I got the dreaded error message again. My back up copy didn't open either. That's another four or five hours lost, and my deadline still looms.

Is it the Mac Mini that I'm using? When I bought the new Photoshop I needed to put it on two computers. My main computer is a Mac Pro (I use it to finalize artwork, as well as work in Final Cut Pro, After Effects and other programs) I've got a second computer for my Cintiq. (a monitor I use for creating artwork) When I found that the new Photoshop CS5 required the Intel chip, I got the Mac Mini to run the Cintiq because I can't afford another Mac Pro at this time.

I've been working in Photoshop since 1996, and I've never seen anything like this.

If you guys have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks very much for your time.

Eddie

Sure, a sticky is thread that is set to stay at the top of the forum for viewers to have easier access to.

Gaus, is short for Gaussian one our resident Admins..

I don't know how mac's work and ive heard that they can't get virus's because they don't run a kernel but it sounds like to me that something is corrupting your files, last time something like this happened to me, all my files got corrupted, i eventually had to wipe out my hard-drive and clean it up...

Is anything similar happening to other files, or only Photoshop files? It could be a hardware issue with your physical hard drive or a software issue with your hard drives data integrity, especially if similar things are happening to other files.

Use the built in Disk Utility to run some hard drive diagnostics and see if it comes up with anything. It's worth a shot.

I'm just having trouble with Photoshop, everything else is fine.

I'll give looking at the hard drive a try, but after that I think I'm going to back to my pre Intel Chip G5, and Photoshop CS4. Does anyone want to by a Mac Mini... I didn't think so...

Thanks! Eddie

Re: "Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountere

I am experiencing this in a slightly different way: If I save a PSD to my local drive, I can make changes and save regularly as usual. However, if I work on a file on our company's server, I get an error saying, "Could not save "file_name.psd" because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered."

All other Adobe CS5 applications save to the server normally. I called Adobe and they said it's a known bug with CS5. I know it's not much of a hassle to work on files locally, but when we are able to work on the files in other CS apps on the server as we have for years. the PS error is a real time waster.

Re: "Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountere

Is there any update on this from Adobe? I am experiencing the same issue with Photoshop CS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back