What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text within a hollow selection\path

BigJ

i just would like to write inside a hollow selection (or path).
to make the issue unambiguous in order to eliminate useless answers, enclosed more details.

i make a square selection using the marquee tool, then i subtract from the selection a small square within the first selection (i.e., the small square does not intersect the edges of the bigger square). this gives me a square doughnut.
from the selection i make a new path. using the text tool, i would like to write (have text) within the selected area (i.e. on the doughnut itself).

apparently, it is applicable to write within a long a path, or within a (not hollow) polygon.

any resolution?

thank for your reply.

here is the screenshot.
zagee.png

as you can see, i would like to fill the selected marquee box (grayed area).
as described before, even if i "make a new path from selection" i still cannot write exactly withing the selected box.

He he, try this

Sert.gif

that is - "cut" the bottom part of the selection with single column selection.

thank for your reply.

here is the screenshot.
View attachment 6845

as you can see, i would like to fill the selected marquee box (grayed area).
as described before, even if i "make a new path from selection" i still cannot write exactly withing the selected box.

I may be wrong in understanding you.... but are you trying to create the path with 2 selections? Try using one selection on the path you want to position your text.....

After little thinking...that inside path anyway will not cantain text (i think) and you'll have adjust text size on sight.
Second if you really want to box text then you don't have to use path. Just 4 text lines rotate 0,90,180,270 degree.
Of course, that not so cool and not quite right but same effect without trouble. But that path can use to make some background color etc.

I don´t know if this is what you need

but it seems like you know how to read my post. how come you didn't understand.
i post a precise details to eliminate answers as yours.

not that i do not appreciate that your contribution, but currently, you contribute only a spam to the thread, which does not correspond to the question.

Well.. It's a bit tricky one.
Just select text layer, take Direct Selection Tool and move anchor points to see how it's done.
The point is to cut the bottom part of the shape and then extend one side of the cut so that it just a little overlaps the other side.

Attachments

• Sert.psd
    222.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
thanks for the attached file.
but it does not seem like the proper way to achieve it.

for instance, suppose i have a complicated shape in the center of my canvas. using your method will take me like ages to achieve. moreover, this method does not sustain heavy modifications.

but thank you anyway,
for now, you got the best answer, even though it has a lot of overhead.

but it seems like you know how to read my post. how come you didn't understand.
i post a precise details to eliminate answers as yours.

not that i do not appreciate that your contribution, but currently, you contribute only a spam to the thread, which does not correspond to the question.

Well EXCUSE me. That must be the rudest thing I have ever heard around here. Sorry for trying to help you, it won´t happen again.

Let's make it clear. From the starters it was NO way supposed to work for complicated shapes. Neither was it supposed to support modifications.
There is no silver bullet. Adobe just missed this feature - there is simply no way to fill shape with "holes" in it.
You asked a concrete question and I helped.

AFAIK, Illustrator doesn't do it either. There is no way to put text inside "compound" paths.
But Indesign does it good. But then there is no right way to put it in PS, like smart object or something.

Last edited:
All you do is create the shape you want on a new layer completely erase the center of the "square donut" so on that layer all you have is the square you want your text on whatever colour you want the center to be then create a solid colour under that layer. above the text shape create your text layer right click it rasterize it and then right click again and apply a clipping mask
hooglemask.jpg
And here is the PSD View attachment text clipping mask.psdso you can see exactly what I did
By the way Photoshop is amazing for text work just watch kelby trainings type effects in photoshop or the lynda.com version you would be impressed what it really is capable off.

Back