What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create a white border around round object

steves

Hi there,

I am a relative newbie to photoshop - I am trying to create a border around a logo that has rounded edges. I have used to stroke tool and it creates the border. However, when I try and save it and use it it still has square edges.

How do I get rid of the square edges?

Thanks!

Welcome to PSGurus, steves.

Use the rectangle shape tool with rounded edges to create your border and use the stroke tool for the border. You can adjust the radius of the rounded edges to suit your need.

Hope this is what you need.

Thanks for the reply!

I did try that as per a website which went through the steps, but once I save it as a jpeg it still has the square edges! :confused:

The canvass was larger than the actual image, so would that explain why?

Am I missing something ridiculously simple here?!

You'll have to excuse my stupid questions, but how does one go about this?

I really am new to all of this so if you could give me an idiots step-by-step on how it's done I would be super grateful!

I currently have the logo opened, and the canvass is the size of the logo..

Sorry..... was somewhere else....lol

No worries mate. Take it step by step.

I don't have PS in front of me right now so I'm doing this from memory.... right click the shape layer.... select raterize layer.....

Hope I got that right.

No worries! :)

Good memory!!

I have rasterized the layer but not sure what to do next. I'm not even sure if I explained it properly. I've attached a screengrab below. The grey section is obviously my work space of PS...I have created the border around the edges but I want this to go around the whole shape. When I have done this with a larger canvass...the edges are no longer rounded and return to square thus ignoring my border. Am I making sense?

I'm going to post a link to a screen shot in my next post. Apparently I can't post links until I've made 4 posts! :D

It sounds as if you need to save as a PNG not a JPG as PNG will retain the transparency.

I think you have helped me sort it. Saving it as a PNG made all the difference!

Thank you all so much.

I may be back with some other anal question soon like how do I turn a monitor on or something! :)

Hey your advanced if you can do that mate lol.

Back