What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get Lightroom alt+'sharpening mask' effect in Photoshop?

eljaydub

Hi all,
Since I started using Lightroom and Photoshop I've always wanted to know how I can make a photo look like it does when I press alt and adjust the sharpening mask slider in Lightroom. Here's an example of what I mean:

Here's original photo:

Lightroom+-+SharpeningMask+Efftect-+Original.jpg

And here's the photo while pressing alt and moving the Mask slider:

Lightroom+-+SharpeningMask+Efftect-+example.jpg

This effect is just a tool to show you where the mask is being applied but I think it's a cool effect and I have a project in mind where I want to make a set of photos look this way. It must be possible in photoshop but I'm not quite sure how to do to. I've tried using a high-pass filter, converting to B&W, and inverting the colours but it not quite the same thing; it obviously tends to just look like an inverted B&W. These images however look more like those pictures you made when you were a kid by covering waxed paper with black crayon and then scratching it off in places to make an image.

Does anyone know how to make photos look like this in photoshop?

Many thanks!

Kawnvicted

Well I know how to get the simple form of it. I did this in class the other day. There's a filter in CS5 that turns it like that but it has color. Maybe after filtering it, you can make a layer with black and white to adjust it or something.

Go to your filter gallery and look under artistic. It should say "glowing edges". That's with color though. The black and white you'll have to play with.

Hoogle

Guru
you could just go to image > adjustments and threshold that will get you close depending on the picture you may have to tweak it from there