Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Linking an Adjustment Layer to two separate layers

Hello,
    I am wondering if there is a way to create an adjustment layer that only affects two layers that are spread apart. What I'd like to be able to do is change the color of both layers at the same time.

-layers-jpg

The problem is, I can't group the layers together and add an adjustment to the group because one of the layers (Number Color Flare) has to stay on top of the rest.

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Linking an Adjustment Layer to two separate layers

Why don't you create 2 separate adjustment layers ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Nemesis View Post
    Why don't you create 2 separate adjustment layers ?
    Well, I'm trying to have the two linked, that way when I change one, the other changes as well. I'm trying to streamline the process of changing colors on a lower third graphic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

As far as I know, it can't be done if they aren't grouped together. I do know what you're saying. All I can suggest is to change one, then copy the adjustment layer to the other. Some actions don't have shortcuts.

I'd love to learn otherwise if I'm wrong.
    Photoshop Gurus Site Rules

3 Ps of PS: perseverance, patience, & play!

5. Likes MikeMc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're not wrong clare, this can't be done I'm not sure if linking the layers or changing the blend mode from pass through would do any good as I'm in office right now and don't have photoshop installed.

Power User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It can not be done in general. But if you simply want to change colors of different layers you can use Smart Objects:

Add Solid Color layer above one of your layers. Clip them in a Clipping group. Convert color layer to Smart Object.

Copy Smart Object over another layer. Clip them in a Clipping group. Repeat this process for every layer you want to change color.

Now you can just open Smart Object layer, change it's color, save and see all your layers change their colors.

8. Likes ibclare, MikeMc liked this post