+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

If I get further into Photoshop, how much finesse with the mouse would be involved?

So I'm a bit of a novice with Photoshop actually, I am a complete novice. I want to jump further in. I really don't have the motor skills to possess a a lot of finesse with the mouse.

I am curious if you were to become proficient with Photoshop is it necessary to have a lot of finesse with the mouse. I know there are a few tools that require it.

Guru
    Thanks

Re: If I get further into Photoshop, how much finesse with the mouse would be involve

If you really "get into Photoshop" you will find yourself getting a Wacom pen tablet of some sort. Forget the mouse, not the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelstb View Post
    So I'm a bit of a novice with Photoshop actually, I am a complete novice. I want to jump further in. I really don't have the motor skills to possess a a lot of finesse with the mouse.

I am curious if you were to become proficient with Photoshop is it necessary to have a lot of finesse with the mouse. I know there are a few tools that require it.

Thanks

Re: If I get further into Photoshop, how much finesse with the mouse would be involve

I completely agree with ALB Laser Engraver. The tablet is absolutely the way to go. I switched over to a Wacom Intuos when I started really using PS and haven't looked back.

Thanks

Stupidly, I would not have thought about that. If I ever get there I will keep it in mind. That being said, can I proceed to a decent level without it?

Queen Bee
    Thanks

Yes. The more practice you have the better you'll be, even with a mouse. Lots of great work was done before there were tablets. And I am not putting down tablets; they are an incredible move forward for artists.
    Photoshop Gurus Site Rules

3 Ps of PS: perseverance, practice, & play!

Thanks

I guess it's like anything else. Practice makes perfect. It's nice to know that there is something else out there if I get serious about Photoshop. I am a long way away from that at the moment.

Photography Section Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know if it's just me, but I use both a mouse and a tablet and I feel that it takes much more fine motor control to use a tablet. A mouse is always resting on the table, whereas you have to have good control of vertical movements to use a stylus on a tablet. In fact, if you are using a more advanced tablet, you can map stylus angle and rotation to brush variables, and that takes even more control.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

McGuru
    Thanks

I agree with Tom...I use a trackball for that reason...stability

Hang up and Drive!!

Former Member
    Thanks

I tried a tablet...

But I personally prefer using the mouse. Strange I know, but it's what I'm used to.

Thanks

Sitting on a wacom board right now and oh my god it is the best thing i ever bought to my computer. Takes a few days to learn but then you can't live without it. It has basically replaced my mouse (except for when I'm gaming).