What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to create this effect?

A

alewushu

good morning!
Please if someone can help me create this effect, I shall be grateful.

29b77c2d9bf20fe1bfdbf5441c972d54.png

chrisix

Guru
okay, the swirly thing is done in illustrator, not photoshop
you make a sphere then take a ribbon and wrap it around the invisible sphere to get that effect.
Ofcourse, it can also be done in photoshop, but it will be a pain in the neck to make.

If you don't have access to illustrator, I can tell you how to do it in photoshop

ibclare

Queen Bee
The glow is probably created using a radial gradient, set to vivid light. Or that's a guess anyway. Lots of ways to achieve the same or similar results in Photoshop.

A

alewushu

At the moment I do not have Illustrator installed, but if you can help me with photoshop, I'd be grateful.

SCTRWD

Power User
Ok, here comes the "pain in the neck" part:):

In PS just make 3D->New shape from layer->Sphere. Remove the Deffuse texture, choose the color for it. Create Opacity texture, open it, add a Black Solid color layer, create new layer, convert it to Smart Object. Open this Smart Object, go to Image->Image Size and change it's width to 3 times of the original. Draw some white diagonal line on it. Save.

Now go back to Opacity texture document, select the Smart Object layer and press Ctrl-T. Move the layer horizontally so that only the leftmost third part is visible. Duplicate the Smart Object layer, press Ctrl-T. Move the layer horizontally so that the middle part is visible(add a 200% vertical Guide to help). Duplicate the Smart Object layer, press Ctrl-T. Move the layer horizontally so that the third part is visible. Save and take a look at what you've got in the main image.

Not that much of a "pain", huh?

Tweak the Sphere Material texture params like Gloss and Shine, set Lights, etc.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice one SCTRWD!

I am going to award you one of our PSG Medals of Honor! It will be up some time today (when I get it done between the this's and that's of the day). I appreciate and so do the members you help, your excellent advice and knowledge of Photoshop and artistic design. You're an artist and a mensch. Thanks! Here's where you will find it.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's a drawn image. Using the Pen tool, Eyedropper tool, and the Burn and Dodge tools only, I made this in about 20 minutes. It's not perfect because I was just trying to demonstrate how simple this can be.

RibbonLogo_01.jpg

This would definitely be easier in Illustrator. I think the mesh tool would be ideal for these kinds of hilights.

Agent