What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art Deco retro poster help

Hi I'm new here. I'm by no means a beginner but I'm not an expert either and there's still some areas of photoshop that I'm still unsure about. However I learn by experimenting.

I'm a big fan of retro style posters, particularly ones from the 1930s/1940s or appearing to look like from that era.

I've been trying to design some artwork to look like that but don't know how to get the 'human block effect' and the grainy gradient effect.

Does anyone have any tips of how to get about this? I'm not asking for a step by step guide because that would take too long for you. Just any advice that will get me started.

I'd like to add that I'm not trying to copy the following images and claim artistic license, I'm just merely wanting to recreate that style.

Here are some example images.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Art-Deco-Iron-Man.png
    Art-Deco-Iron-Man.png
    472.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IronMan_by_Design_Deco_Works_by_Deadlydelmundo.jpg
    IronMan_by_Design_Deco_Works_by_Deadlydelmundo.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Poster_1.jpg
    Poster_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • rocketeer__span.jpg
    rocketeer__span.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 2
  • bugler-on-helmed-head.jpg
    bugler-on-helmed-head.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 22
  • dawn-of-a-new-age-by-tim-huhn.jpg
    dawn-of-a-new-age-by-tim-huhn.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 22
would it be wise do to a sketch by hand on A4, scan it...open it with PS, then fill in the colours and apply gradient layers on top? I'm not sure how to create curved blocks using the pen tool?

Does anyone know how to achieve this grainy effect? Is it a pattern layer? Or do I have to individually alter each layer? Thanks.

Attachments

• robot-propaganda-posters1.jpg
    robot-propaganda-posters1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1
There's a myriad of ways it could have been done. Here's one in mind.... using the Iron Man image....

Create a new layer fill black. Add Noise set to monochromatic.

Play with the layer setting. I chose DARKEN. and lower the FILL opacity.

Finally, give it a bit of Gaussian Blur....

grainy effect.jpg

Hope this gives some idea.....

Just to add ,ore replies to your previous set of questions...

There seems to be a glow around certain objects in the image.... These have to added in to the object on the layer either as an effect or as a shadow or glow on a separate layer beneath it.

Only after you've done the full image do you apply the noise filter retouch on the flattened image. Unless you've got other ideas... like noise on certain parts... etc....

Back