What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stretching a 16-bit image without changing pixel values

JWhite

I have a 16 bit image which , due to raw pixel values, appears mostly black when first imported into PS. I can use auto contrast to stretch the image and to make edits, however this changes every pixel value. Is there a way to edit a stretched image then revert back to the original pixel values? I need to maintain the raw pixel values, as these are data I need to use for calculations. I saw one suggestion about using an Adjustment layer then cloning pixel values, but the adjustment layer will not stretch properly to see the image. Any suggestions?

I must be missing something. Why don't you simply put an adjustment layer above your image (presumably, to brighten it up to make it easier to work on), and then simply turn off the adjustment layer when you are done?

T

Thanks Tom,

I had tried the adjustments layer earlier, but I kept getting a posterized blown out view on my adjustment layer (it looked like a bad 8-bit copy with none of the detail). It was not until I treid zooming in to 100% view that the true image was rendered with all and I was able to do my work on the adjustment layer. Anything 50% zoom or lower reverted back to useless posterized view (it is a very large panorama so I had not tried anything over 50%). My issues are resolved, thanks

I'm glad you found out what was causing the problem, but now that you have solved it, you have my curiosity going. What was it?

T

PS - If you hadn't solved it, I was going to suggest that you post the PSD file so that we could have a look, see if we could reproduce the problem, etc.

Back