What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to do a clean selection.

samhtcandroid

hi all,

I am puzzled by how good some people do the cropping out of items from the picture.
Can anyone give me some guidiance how to do a clean selection(cropping) of the wanted items from a picture?

I seem to do it with lots of imperfection, either i selected small unwanted parts or missed minor parts. Can anyone show me how to do a clean sharp selection and crop out of an item?

The trick is to use a combination of tools available to you the pen tool will make a selection on sharp edges nicely I rarely use more than the quick selection tool and then enter quick mask mode to tidy it up followed by a layer mask.

Hi samhtcandroid

Welcome to PhotoShop Gurus

First of all, there's not only one way to crop or create selections of objects on images.

All depends in the kind of object to be cropped or selected, depending of the object edge difficulty, you can use a wide variety of techniques, such as, pen based selections, color range based, quick selections, channels extraction, and that just to mention the most known techniques.

This may help
Photoshop 6 techniques to extract anything from its background

He calls it Photoshop for beginners but there are some pointers that are excellent for someone like me who got stuck in a couple ruts -- with my favorite but not necessarily best suited selection/extraction techniques -- instead of using PS for some of its most powerful tools. Thanks $1r_M4x1mu$ !

Welcome to PSG sam!

For a starter, you could use the Magnetic Lesso tool, it's not the perfect tool for all situations, but it's too easy to learn in case you want to do something quick.

Patience and zoom in as close as you dare, take your time and use all of the above tools in what ever the situation dictates.

Welcome to PSG sam!

For a starter, you could use the Magnetic Lesso tool, it's not the perfect tool for all situations, but it's too easy to learn in case you want to do something quick.

It's like using a jig saw a bit, short spaced points going round curves.

Back