What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RANT: I am now officially REALLY SICK AND TIRED OF SNOW! ! ! ! ! ! !

Tom Mann

Guru
Mein Gott! It's March 17th, Saint Patrick's day and here in Washington, DC, we just got dumped on again. This storm left another 9 or so inches of fairly powdery snow in our area. I can't remember ever seeing a snow storm this big, this dry, this late in the season, and having to deal with so many 3-6" ones throughout the earlier part of the winter. I'm sure I will be biting my tongue a few months from now when the temperature is >100F and the humidity is > 80%, but even I, the ex-ski instructor, winter camper, ice climber, etc. want it to be over for this season.

Attached is a photo that I took at 9 PM this evening out on our back deck. It was well after sunset. The lighting is from a couple of 60 watt (equivalent) CF deck lights + I bounced a SB-910 hot shoe flash off the back wall of the house + shooting at an ISO of something like 2500 (Nikon D700, 16-35mm/f4 VR lens at ~35 mm, hand held).

Also, just in case you are wondering about us, no, we did not actually go out and spend money to buy that statue of a dog. A well-intentioned but slightly strange relative showed up with it as a "gift" a few months ago. :eek:

T

PS - As with my previous rant on the subject, feel free to torment us Washingtonians by posting photos of sunny beaches, half-naked women playing volleyball (or whatever floats your boat), succulent tropical fruit, etc.

Attachments

• D7B_7341_nef-LR_to_PSD-acr-ps03a_sRGB_BW_cropped_698px_hi-01.jpg
    D7B_7341_nef-LR_to_PSD-acr-ps03a_sRGB_BW_cropped_698px_hi-01.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 20
Last time i had snow under my feet was about four years ago, and glad i am at that fact:mrgreen:

I was dying for some snow so on my birthday we went to the only place in Belgium that had snow this year (and only for a week or so)
However, this was March 2013

DSC08529.jpg

Since no one but Paul put up any nice beach or other summertime scenes, I'll just have to keep posting more icy cold snow pix to goad you folks near or below the equator into sending some warm thoughts this way, LOL.

T

Attachments

• D7B_7338_nef-LR_jpg_full_rez-02_xnv_698px_hi.jpg
    D7B_7338_nef-LR_jpg_full_rez-02_xnv_698px_hi.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 18
Not taken tonight, but I pass this house every day on my way to work and they always put a lot of effort into decorating it for the kids.

T

Attachments

• DSD_5753b_jpg-acr0-ps01_misc_for_web.jpg
    DSD_5753b_jpg-acr0-ps01_misc_for_web.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 2
... and, from a previous storm, the picture-perfect little house across the street. Click on it to view it at nearly full rez.

T

Attachments

• D7A_2221jpg-acr-ps03a-03_BW-for_web-3500px_wide.jpg
    D7A_2221jpg-acr-ps03a-03_BW-for_web-3500px_wide.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
RANT? .........Two words covers that..... SNOW SUCKS! well maybe 3, SNOW SUCKS PERIOD

RANT? .........Two words covers that..... SNOW SUCKS! well maybe 3, SNOW SUCKS PERIOD

Surely the exclamation mark is more dramatic than a period. Never understood the reason why punctuation gets orally expressed or transcribed in America Interrobang (‽)

I worked in D.C. back in the 70's and I recall that there was an unexpected Easter snowstorm back then too. It does happen, but not too often. It seems like we had much more snow in the east when I was kid than they do today.

Surely the exclamation mark is more dramatic than a period. Never understood the reason why punctuation gets orally expressed or transcribed in America Interrobang (‽)

If you don't understand then you probably never will. It's as American as:stfu::mrgreen:

PS - Hey, Chris, how 'bout some snow pix from the Alps?

T

In Zurich it is spring time and around 20 degrees celcius. We had no snow in town this year which is unusual. But in the higher regions the conditions for wintersport is still perfect. Maybe I'll find a nice pic to post.
Sorry, I almost missed this thread, because lately I was so busy creating google doodles.

If you don't understand then you probably never will. It's as American as:stfu::mrgreen:

The Southern Tenant Farmers Union is sure American, can't think of any other acronym with those letters that is though.

I want it to snow here, but it hardly ever snows where I live in the UK, everyone seems to forget how to do things after an inch of snow full stop

In Zurich it is spring time and around 20 degrees celcius. We had no snow in town this year which is unusual. ...
OMG. I had no idea. It reminds me of the year I had a business trip to Munich around this time of the year, and thought I would be able to get in a bit of skiing. Wrong! Was I surprised to find it was shirt-sleeve weather up on top.

T

...it hardly ever snows where I live in the UK, everyone seems to forget how to do things after an inch of snow full stop
Sounds exactly like Washington DC in a typical year. The gov't is paralyzed if an inch of snow falls. At least this year, people got some experience with it and are doing much better in this regard.

T

Back