What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Magic Orb

hershy314

Guru
Really don't know what to call it, but it's something I started on yesterday. The orb and legs are done in 3D, the background is my own design. I've tried putting numerous things in the orb, but nothing looked right. I am going to work on this and perfect it (or get close) so I'm not stressin about the situation I'm in.

magicorb.jpg

Hey hershy, sorry to hear about your situation. It's not much help, but I've been exactly where you find yourself now, we all find our way even though we may have to make some tough decisions.

I try to be as honest with you as I can on your images. I know that you don't particularly care for my opinions and I'm fine with that. With some people it's very hard to tell if they want a realistic and believable image, or are they just mucking around. I really and truly want you to be happy, satisfied, and content with your own work! So, if your happy with your image above, then stop reading here.

The background is nice but blurry. The orb looks like a transparent white filled circle, it has no dimension. The legs are just four plain and simple cylinders.

I think there are much easier approaches to getting a satisfying effect without using the 3D engine.

Please take a look at some of these TUTORIALS, I think you would gain more knowledge about how to accomplish this type of effect rather than haphazardly struggling in 3D.

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 10.52.11 AM.pnghershy, try this on the globe, tweak it. It's just a copy of what you posted (the round/orb area) so it's a bit darker play around with that idea

Luckily I was able to find a cheaper place not far from where I live, odd thing it's a two bedroom. Trying to work out a deal with the apartment manager, so far she seems willing to work with me. Sad thing is I'm gonna have to sell my bike and couch to help pay for the move, and cause I don't know anyone with a truck only a small suv.

Sam your advice on my work is always worth reading and helps sometimes. The links you provided look like they will work greatly. I tried iDad's idea and trying to adjust everything would take forever to get right. I do have 3D Cinema but since I don't use 3D that often I still haven't figured out how to use it very well. Tried watching a few tuts on it, always got lost.

Here is an updated version. Created the orb using a tut provided in the link above, also changed the background. Think the new background fits better with the orb. The legs aren't that much better, still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

magicorb.jpg
Well that place I mentioned earlier fell through, it was going to cost too much up front....more than it would cost to stay where I am. Either way it's money I don't have.

Last edited:
Hi Hershey - If you want the orb to distort the light rays the way a transparent sphere would, you have to realize that a transparent sphere acts like an extremely strong positive lens, ie, the focus (such that it is) is essentially on the surface of the sphere opposite to the scene being focused.

In addition to the tremendous distortions this imparts in the view through the sphere, the scene viewed through a solid sphere is also inverted (both top to bottom and L to R). Now, since your orb is magic, maybe it doesn't have to move light around like most normal spheres, but, IMHO, if you want it to look more realistic, I would incorporate these features.

T

Back