What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filling objects while retaining textures

sfvancouver

Hi all,

First - Happy New Year!

We've spent time trying to do this for the past couple months. Didn't know (but so relieved to find out today) there are forums for Photoshop help!
Of course, we should have realized that... 2 months ago!

Anyhow we're trying to change the blue brush stroke below, to orange while retaining the textures.
- The attached pic is the closest we've gotten by luck
- we'd like to do away with the darker colors
- and we'd like to actually know what we're doing and be able to repeat it

Thanks guys :)

Attachments

• Zen 1.png
    Zen 1.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Zen 2.png
    Zen 2.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 31

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome sfvancouver.

Noticed a lot of artifacts on the original image. Seems like you used the magic wand / selection tool to isolate the stroke.

Would it be OK if you could post the original image of the stroke? Depending on the image, you may be able to do the changes on it before isolating the stroke.

sfvancouver

Hi dv8_fx, Thanks. At this moment I can post the copy from my inbox.
(added to attachments)

May I ask (to learn) why it might make a difference having the original?

Attachments

• Zen.png
    Zen.png
    325.1 KB · Views: 25

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Without the original source file here (yourfile.psd) the only thing I can suggest is to duplicate the blue brush stroke layer. Then apply a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer ABOVE the blue brush stroke layer. In the Hue/Saturation layer dialog box, click on the COLORIZE radio button and use the slider to point to the purple range (it's on the far right). Now, hold down the ALT key for Windows machine or OPT key if you use a MAC and move your mouse in between the adjustment layer and the blue brush stroke layer and click. This clips the adjustment layer to the blue brush stroke layer. Yeah this would be easier if we had the original source layer. Now to tell you how you could repeat what you did in the first place is just not possible. We don't know what you did to begin with.

ibclare

Queen Bee
To decrease the darkness of the blues inside the swirl, it would be best to select them using one of the selection tools, then do a layer adjustment or image adjustment for hue/saturation, like spruce said -- I suggest going to layers>adjustments>hue/sat rather than image> adj. so that you can easily make changes later if you want -- but this time use the saturation and/or lightness sliders.

I have an example. I wasn't sure how many of the shadows you wanted lightened. When you do your selection, zoom in to pixel level for this particular image, so that you can control what the quick select or magic wand is selecting. Use the alt/opt with either tool to remove area. The polygonal lasso could be helpful at this level also.

BTW, If you want to keep the yellow areas yellow, let us know and someone can help you do that. There are several ways.

Hope we're helping.

PS As stated above, It would be helpful if you have the original image, depending on the quality you want in the end product. It definitely has some rough edges and you may well find one of us who could help you with ways to remove the white better.

Attachments

• Zen_1b.PNG
    Zen_1b.PNG
    241.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

sfvancouver

dv8_fx
sprucemagoo1
ChrisHPZ
ibclare

First, apologies for the delay in reply. The 1st 2 weeks of school has been busy! Fortunately.. it's calming done. ;)

We want to thank you all for your help. Just added a graphic design director onto our (student clubs) team - they're going to have a great resource with this thread.
- note: the original image is a PNG also

One other question:
is there an online resource that tweaks photos like this (pixlr?): www . poppin . com/team/
- We'll only be doing black & white
- And much less editing

ChrisHPZ

Power User
You can use Photoshop's Black & White adjustment for this. It's in the Image>Adjustments menu.

ibclare

Queen Bee
sfvancouver, I am not certain I understand what you want. If it is an outline, then here is a very simple technique for finding just the outline of an image. It doesn't have very many steps and the the touchups you would do manually are pretty simple: Developing Outlines in Photoshop CS3 « « Layers Magazine Layers Magazine

This didn't take me more than 5 minutes: outlines.jpg

the original outlines2.jpg

If you are looking for outlines, and you want the thicker lines, Use image>adjustments>threshold.

If it's something else you need, please amke that clear.

Last edited: