What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any help on this effect?

shad0w1

i have been trying to get this effect for ages, but i just cant seem to do so and i dont even know whats it called to google for help. would really appreciate an answer.

i cant post links but just paste this behind gyazo dot com

feb4e4b3f54e5077878077558d24f63a

its like a paint effect but not exactly cos it retains the tiny details. really at wits end. please help!!

on closer experiemtning, noticed it actually isn't really that close. anyone got settings for the hdr adjustment that works good usually?

So it seems Clare's way from the above thread is so close yet so far.

Any other experts got a workaround to get this effect?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 4
radius........166 176 370 83
strength ....0.39 0.47 1.84 0.43
gamma......0.76 0.76 0.23 0.23
exposure.......0.30 0.30 -0.35 0.80
detail...300 300 156 270
shadow......100 100 100 100
highlight.....-100 -100 -100 100
vibrance.....80 22 82 76
saturation...0 26 10 52

tried all those but still cant get it right, doesn't give off that painted effect. and sometimes it ruins the background too in which the plastic wrap doesn't really work

tried all those but still cant get it right, doesn't give off that painted effect. and sometimes it ruins the background too in which the plastic wrap doesn't really work

I can write larger....But I did say starting points. I have worked for hours with a set starting point. Each of those "sets" should be played with. I suggest you find some pseudo hdr tuts, but...it really is playing with all those sliders, and then throw some curves or levels in for fun...

A true hdr will be a set of stacked exposures and then you play for the look you want...PLAY !!!

I can write larger....But I did say starting points. I have worked for hours with a set starting point. Each of those "sets" should be played with. I suggest you find some pseudo hdr tuts, but...it really is playing with all those sliders, and then throw some curves or levels in for fun...

A true hdr will be a set of stacked exposures and then you play for the look you want...PLAY !!!

i have tried for hours but no matter what slider i mess with the paint effect just does not work. and ive only had success with 1 image. most of the others i tried it either looks like a poorly editted photo with low quality or you can barely see the difference.

may it not be hdr and possibly something else?

You are looking at a over sharpened image with the shadows filled in Post up what images you are using or... are you trying to do this with one image only? To really succeed with a hdr you need 3 or more exposures to stack for an hdr. I shoot those in the camera, but you can do it in ACR. Make 3 exposures using ACR...11/2 stops apart in exposure 1 over and 1 under. Then combine them in a stack for your hdr. If you have lost me you need a tut or a better understanding of hdr.

Another quick thought...your original image also uses a B/W background while the second doesn't...two different ideas there Masking and conversion to B/W

Last edited:
You are looking at a over sharpened image with the shadows filled in Post up what images you are using or... are you trying to do this with one image only? To really succeed with a hdr you need 3 or more exposures to stack for an hdr. I shoot those in the camera, but you can do it in ACR. Make 3 exposures using ACR...11/2 stops apart in exposure 1 over and 1 under. Then combine them in a stack for your hdr. If you have lost me you need a tut or a better understanding of hdr.

Another quick thought...your original image also uses a B/W background while the second doesn't...two different ideas there Masking and conversion to B/W

i can make the background black or not that doesn't really matter. what im looking to achieve is something like the oil paint filter in cs6 but without messing up the facial details and stuff like the 2nd pic.

i am trying to do this with pretty much almost any image. as for the rest of the stacking and stuff... im a noob so idk what you're talking about.:cry:

I played around with this a little bit. Not quite there, but getting closer (I think).

- masked off and desaturated the background.
- slight gaussian blur
- added plastic wrap filter to the players (may need to go stronger on that effect)
- adjusted levels
- adjusted shadows and highlights
- added just a tiny bit of saturation

jt1.jpg

jt2.jpg

edit...

just for kicks, here's some more plastic wrap (strength of 4 above & 10 below)

jt3.jpg

Last edited:
im almost certain plastic wrap doesn't play a big part in obtaining the effect.

test.png

this is the best i can get after all this while by combining hdr with oil paint in cs6, but i just cant seem to retain the details while adding the oil paint affect like the 2nd pic. is it even possible?

any other photoshop pros able to give it a try?

...sure, what the heck ...

First, here's the original (down rez'ed to display in-line) ...

Attachments

• lebron-james4jpg-f788401137814c26-xnv_698px_wide.jpg
    lebron-james4jpg-f788401137814c26-xnv_698px_wide.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 63
Next, I brightened, added contrast, clarity and sharpened it in ACR.

Then, I took it into PS and applied one of the stock "metals" gradient map presets to a copy.

I then de-speckled, smoothed and stretched the gradient map.

Changed the blending mode of the metals gradient map to "overlay" and adjusted the blendIF sliders.

Added some final touchups by applying levels, vibrance, etc. to the whole image.

(BTW, I obviously didn't bother desaturating the bkgnd.)

My take on this method is that it certainly moved the image in the direction of one of the images you cited, but is nothing like the 1st image you cited. I've got to think about that 1st image some more.

T

PS - I agree with you that the "plastic wrap" tool isn't involved here. A gradient map can do everything that plastic wrap can do, and a lot more ... only it takes more steps to get there, but they are all adjustable to customize the look.

PS #2 - Oh, BTW, I applied the metal gradient map (and a few of the other steps) only to the skin.

Attachments

• lebron-james4jpg-f788401137814c26b-01-acr-ps01a-03-xnv_698px_wide.jpg
    lebron-james4jpg-f788401137814c26b-01-acr-ps01a-03-xnv_698px_wide.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Back