What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with newbie question!

cheoksoon

Hello all,

I've recently taken a photo of some cherry blossoms in the park but they turned out disappointingly white on screen (although I swore they were pink!). I wanted to make them pink with photoshop but I don't know how. Can anybody teach me?

CheersIMAG0227.jpg

Hey there...

Go to Select >> Colour Range >> then hold down shift and move the colour dropper around the white of the flowers then click ok.

Now all the white flowers are selected.

Go to Image >> Adjustments >> Hue/Saturation and crank up the saturation slider then the Hue slider to get a nice pink.

http://prntscr.com/1sdh9m

Take your time on the Colour Range part. This was a quick two minute job lol.

Last edited:
Like most image editing tasks, in Photoshop, there are almost always multiple ways to get a similar effect. An experienced Photoshop artist will select one of the approaches on the basis of convenience, accuracy of the desired effect, or, very commonly, minimization of unwanted side effects. In this case, the unwanted side efx could be that other parts of the picture turn pink, you get odd, unwanted boundaries between the areas you want to change and the areas you want to remain as is, etc.

Here's two other methods to do what you asked.

In the first, I made a "luminance mask" (Google it), increased it's contrast, and then used it to selectively apply a pink "photo filter" ("preserve luminosity" turned off) to only the highlights.

photo_filter_with_luminance_mask.jpg

In my second method, I used a very nice commercial plugin called "Color Mechanic" to move only the least saturated parts of the photo towards pink. Since the least saturated parts of the image include both dark and bright areas, I then used the blendIF sliders to restrict the effect to the highlights.

color_mechanic.jpg

color_mech2.jpg

There are lots of options available in the above methods (eg, more or less pink, leaving the blown highlights blown vs coloring them, etc.), as well as many, many other ways one can do this. For example, another common approach would be to use curves to change the color of the highlights.

HTH,

Tom M

As Tom pointed out, there are numerous ways to do things in PS.

Then there's those EUREKA MOMENTS that you come up with something but don't quite remember how you did it in the first place. All because playing around with the image and not paying attention to what I was doing.... :eek: :cheesygrin:

From what I could recall - I took a different route so as not to duplicate what was already mentioned.....

I duplicated the layer.

In the channels pallete, CTRL+clicked the red channel icon to select the contents then inverted the selection. CTRL+H to hide the selection ants. Keep the selection active throughout the process....

Go back to the layers palette .... I didn't use any adjustment layers but did the adjustments directly on the image layer.

Use the channel Mixer (Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer) to increase the red values. Then Hue and Saturation to achieve the pink/red hue in image 1. Set the layer to Saturation. You can deselect the ants at this stage.

eureka1.jpg

Duplicate the layer, Set the layer mode to lighten.

eureka2.jpg

You may want to adjust the opacities of both layers to get the look you want.

NOTE.... this may not be the appropriate solution but this outlines some of the possibilities you can take. With a bit of experimenting with the process above as well as those presented by others, you may get what you're looking for.

Back