What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help on the banner and masks

zoe20

Power User
hi Gurus am trying to make a banner with width of 1920*695pix and i selected an image from Google and made a path and clip masked the image to fit in the appropriate width and heights.Everything is ok so far.But i wanted to use another image and trying to blend with the banner image. For that i used elliptical marquee tool and filled in with the color and used Gaussian blur to hide the edges.But when i used the Gaussian blur its overflowed and loosk odd. I think i need to mask it and apply the Gaussian blur?? Please see the attached psd and guide me and also explain me where i went wrong . I really looking forward to it.

cheers n regards
zoe20

PSD:

https://www.mediafire.com/?vds0fuc16iuignz

Last edited:
Is this what you're trying to achieve?

For Zoe.jpg

If it is, disregard and discard all the upper layers and concentrate on the Keys (BITMAP) layer,

I added a mask on which to do the effects edit...

CTRL+click the layer image icon to select it. FEATHER by 25pixels and INVERSE.

If the image isn't selected, CTRL+click the layer image icon to select it

Click on the MASK icon to select the mask.

Hit delete a few times till you get the look you want.

Take note I'm subtracting from the mask and not the image in the layer. The image remains intact.

Hope this is what you needed.

dv8_fx its a bit confusing Matting is grayed out on the layers section to get the defringe option.Seems am doing something wrong ??

Also dv8_fx i think if i want to make it like the way i did . What should i do to control the over flow of the blur effect? can u also please teach me ?? Its always better to learn various ways to achieve an effect i think. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i think masking will sort out the issues in my way of doing it ?? Gurus help me please.

Hey zoe, the bitmap is to closely cropped, in the future leave yourself a lot more room to work with.

Here's what I did using "the way you did it"

You already had the layers in a group, so I just added a mask to the group.

I did this by command/control + clicking the thumbnail of the rectangle layer to get a selection, then I highlighted the group and then clicked the add layer mask icon.

I then used the Brush Tool with a soft brush, I set the Brushes fill to 3%. Using black as my foreground color.

I then cleaned up the area over the keys.

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 12.47.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 12.47.23 AM.png

Thanks a lot IamSam yes i do like his version as well.But its always satisfaction if we achieve it with our own way of thinking.Also its good to learn various techniques to achieve same effects. Thanks a ton IamSam can u share the psd if possible your version? Thanks a lot!!

cheers
zoe

Last edited:
There are a lot of possibilities to choose from in order to achieve things like this. Personally, I'd prefer using less layers to achieve what I want. And it's a matter of the final look needed or how it will affect other effects in the rest of the image.

I count several ways to do this... mine above which is the most basic, your procedure, IamSams,..... or..

Do it the other way around - background layer over the keys layer with a mask applied, erasing the areas over the keys you want to expose...

For Zoe 3.jpg

Applying the mask on the entire Keys layer, filling the mask black and paint white over the keys area you want exposed...

For Zoe 1.jpg

On a new layer, paint black that will cover the keys in the key layer, apply Gaussian Blur.... reposition below the keys layer and clip/group it with the keys....

For Zoe 2.jpg

It's a matter of preference or what other effects you plan to do with the rest of the image.....

OMG am looking for the same one earlier. Ok Sam and dv8_fx should i haev same width of the banner image for the mask in the 2nd version?

Hey balavalli, Zoe posted the PSD in her first post.
dv8 and I only made minor changes that we both explained in our posts. I did not save the PSD that i used, sorry.

Hey balavalli, Zoe posted the PSD in her first post.
dv8 and I only made minor changes that we both explained in our posts. I did not save the PSD that i used, sorry.

Ok np Sam .BTW Sam should i have same width of the banner image for the mask in the 2nd version?

Try making the blue layer, adding a mask and brushing back and forth with a 100% soft brush. You don't really need the blur though of course that can work. But you can always add and erase color from the color layer whether you use a mask or not. Many ways to do the same thing in PS. You can also make your selection of the keys, mask them, then use the selection borders to paint inside and out, or add a layer of color then mask out the keys. Then using the selection add the blur with the brush over the edges. If my directions are too obtuse, I can also make a visual for you. But you have already gotten good direction from dv8 and Sam, so mine is just another idea.

balavalli said:
Ok np Sam .BTW Sam should i have same width of the banner image for the mask in the 2nd version?

Yes, I just used the original rectangle that Zoe made to make a selection which I then turned into the layer mask.

Sam in post 10 said:
I just added a mask to the group.

I did this by command/control + clicking the thumbnail of the rectangle layer to get a selection, then I highlighted the group and then clicked the add layer mask icon.

Back