What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS4 Brush Error

AllisonJoy

When I use the brush tool, the brush circle disappears when I enlarge it past 70px. The edges of the circle begin to disappear as I enlarge it until the whole brush is invisible and I have no idea where I am painting with it and where the edges are. The tool still works, I just can't see what I'm doing. I have tried resetting my tool presets and that did not work. Also, I am not accidentally hitting the caps lock key for it to go to the crosshatch. Any help pleeeease?

I found this on other site. Someone posted this solution for Windows computers

"I have found the solution to my problem with Photoshop Brushes in CS4. I went into my control panel and under Display, selected Settings, then clicked on the Advanced button, and then went into the Troubleshooting folder. I moved my slider under Hardware Acceleration one or two notches backward to the left... AND... AND... the brushes worked perfectly. I did not notice much if any decrease in performance. Try it... I hope it works for you.
A.W."

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but it is still useful to people upgrading to a newer version of Photoshop. I used CS2 for years, without problem, but when I made the jump to CS5 recently, I had the same strange problem AllisonJoy mentioned (my brush circles began to disappear as their size exceeded 70 pixels). I tried reducing the Hardware Acceleration setting, as Berlot7 suggested on this forum, but that didn't help at all. However, TrondH's solution (updating video card drivers) worked perfectly for me... I'm using an nVidia video card and the drivers were from 2009. Going to nVidia's website (their name followed dot com) for a driver update solved the problem immediately!

"I have found the solution to my problem with Photoshop Brushes in CS4. I went into my control panel and under Display, selected Settings, then clicked on the Advanced button, and then went into the Troubleshooting folder. I moved my slider under Hardware Acceleration one or two notches backward to the left... AND... AND... the brushes worked perfectly. I did not notice much if any decrease in performance. Try it... I hope it works for you.
A.W."

Just installed Photoshop Elements 10 on a Windows XP SP3 PC with ASUS Motherboard (integrated graphics).
I had the same issue, and Berlot suggestion about Hardware Acceleration worked for me. Thanks.

Back