What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Images turn green when viewed in fullscreen.

MMD

Hello, Lately, something weird have been happening to some of my images. When i save them from Photoshop and view them in f.ex. Windows Photo Viewer they look normal, but when I show then in fullscreen, they lose some magena/red color and turn greenish. This also happens when I upload them to a webpage, like Flickr, or view them on my phone. I've been vigorously trying to solve it for a while now, by f.ex. reinstalling PS, formatting the HDD and reinstalling Windows, updating my graphic card drivers and saving in different file formats like TIFF, PNG, BMP etc, but without success.It happens with pictures from both my Canon EOS 7D and 5DII, so its most likely not a camera issue. You can see the effect in the picture i've attached. Thanks in advance for any help :)fullscreengreen.jpg

You'll have to excuse the wall of text. Previewing the post apparently removed all the sections and i'm unable to edit it. :rolleyes:

It sounds like a color management issue
Calibrating your monitor would be a good idea.

What color profile are you saving the images in?
Some viewers can read and use the profile and some can't.

Try removing all color management from an image.
Goto Image|Assign Profile|Don't Color Manage this Document
Save the image and view it in the different viewers.

Same problem or better?

Reactions: MMD
Did what you said and it made the picture look like it does in fullscreen, only this time while still in Photoshop. I guess this means the picture looked like this when it was originally opened in photoshop, wich I find rather weird as the raw .cr2 file straight from the camera got the proper colors.

colormanagement.jpg

The only two color profiles in the list that show the correct colors are ProPhoto RGB (as shown) and ROMM-RGB.
I didn't touch any color settings when I first opened the file, so I don't know how or why it have been set to the ProPhoto RGB in the first place.

Did what you said and it made the picture look like it does in fullscreen, only this time while still in Photoshop. I guess this means the picture looked like this when it was originally opened in photoshop, wich I find rather weird as the raw .cr2 file straight from the camera got the proper colors.
Right.
Before Photoshop used a color profile to display the colors one way.
Other viewers can't use color profiles so they show the image differently, they clipped some colors.

You need to set the profile for the output.
Edit the image with no profile if the image will be displayed on a viewer that doesn't support profiles.

MMD said:
The only two color profiles in the list that show the correct colors are ProPhoto RGB (as shown) and ROMM-RGB.
I didn't touch any color settings when I first opened the file, so I don't know how or why it have been set to the ProPhoto RGB in the first place.

No camera as far as I know supports ProPhoto and I never heard of ROMM-RGB.
Set your camera and ACR to Adobe RGB1998.
If the output is something like the web that doesn't support Adobe RGB1998 convert an re-edit so it looks right.

Do some research on Proofing and color clipping in Photoshop, I think that will help too.

Reactions: MMD
Right, after a good night's sleep I found a solution. I simply have to convert the color profile on every picture to either Adobe RGB 1998 or sRGB. sRGB seems to look a bit better on the web. Converting goes fast with the use of Actions, so that won't be a problem.
However, I still haven't found a reason to why the ProPhoto profile was applied in the first place, so I'll just have to wait and see if/when it happens again.
Thanks a lot for the help :)

Back