What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are my layers pink?

UncleWaldo

Banned
Photoshop CS3
Mac 10.4.11

Can anyone tell me why layers are pink in my layers palette?

I'm opening up an old file (created by another artist no longer with us). Some of the layers (group layers) in the layer palette are highlighted pink. And, some of those pink groups work (meaning you can see what's in the group) and some don't (either showing nothing or 1 or 2 pieces from the group.

I'm assuming this is some form of corruption but I can't find anything about it in the search engines.

I've attached some screen grabs so you can see what I'm seeing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

pic1.pngpic2.png

costisefu

they are pink because you told them so.
Click right in the box with the eye and you can choose the color you want the layer to have.
It has no effect on the image, just a way of organising or seing some layers you want faster.

UncleWaldo

Banned
dv8_fx, thank you for the welcome. This forum seems incredibly useful.

costisefu: thank you. As I said, this was someone else's file and I've never had a need to color-code the layers... thus, didn't know what they were. Now if I could just figure out why some of the groups work and some don't (layers are turned on, but there's nothing there).

Paul

Former Member
Mate, you need dark glasses or a good optician by the sounds of things.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
dv8_fx, thank you for the welcome. This forum seems incredibly useful.

costisefu: thank you. As I said, this was someone else's file and I've never had a need to color-code the layers... thus, didn't know what they were. Now if I could just figure out why some of the groups work and some don't (layers are turned on, but there's nothing there).

Based on your grabs, some layers don't work coz the layer isn't turned on. click in the box where the eye is on the other layers to make layer contents visible.

UncleWaldo

Banned
Thanks for the help. The "pink" layer issue has been solved. I didn't realize you could color code the layers.

As for the layers not showing, yes I do know how to turn a layer on and off. I didn't send an extra screen grab because I didn't want to load this up with images.

If you open one of the groups you'll see text, images and backgrounds. One of them works fine (you turn on the layer and you see everything there). Two of them only show the background layer (when turned on) but none of the text or images. The others are just blank when you turn them on (and, yes, they have text, backgrounds and images in them as well).

Something's corrupting the file, I just haven't run into this before and I wanted to know if anyone else has seen this and if I was missing something (like the color-coded layers).