What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Brush Edges

Outtacontext

I've been using Photoshop for years. At work, suddenly, my default round brush does not have a smooth border. Instead it's jagged. Here's a pic of it:

strange_brush.jpg

I don't know how this happened and I can't seem to get back to the way brushes, etc. usually look and work in Photoshop. I've tried resetting the brush but to no avail. It looks like this with the clone tool and other tools. It also seems to operate a bit differently. The application of the brush is more fluid rather than brushlike. Can anyone clue me in. I'm not using a tablet. Just my mouse. Thanks.

This is the way it appears without any preset or brush variation setting?

Have you tried resetting Photoshops preferences?

This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

Thanks. Do I have to do a clean sweep? I'd also like to know what this is and how I got this edge.

I actually, I think I just solved my problem. I had my brush pref set for precise instead of normal. But, what exactly does changing it to precise do? How does that affect the interface?

I find that resetting the prefs cures odd issues like this. Unfortunately, you will have to reset all the prefs, sorry.

I don't know how or why this happened, it's just the nature of some programs.

Back