What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoogles Workflow

Hoogle

Guru
Ok this is an experimental thread to see how you guys like it. The idea is that it is not just a tutorial as such but more emphasis on how I would create an image from start to end. I will be sharing with you everything using screen capture video. Some of these sessions will be 10 mins long or some can be around an hour. There may be times I use other software as well as photoshop. This first session took a long time to make as I had to film each video to a 15 min limit and took 5 or 6 attempts to get it to do just that. However I am looking at other resources so that maybe it will be just 1 video in future posts.

Ok I want to make this clear I do not in any way mean to make out that I am excellent at photoshop or that what I do in this series is the way it should be done hence the fact it is called Hoogles work flow. These are just How I would go about editing an image like anything in photoshop there are a 101 ways to achieve the same thing. My Aim is just to let you see how I would do something and compare it to how you would do it yourself. Think of it as an idea sharing thread if you like.

Please also take into consideration I am against a clock trying to explain things as I am doing them so the results will be below par to if I was just casually working on my own. I also have to increase some of the effects so that you can see them on video so if you dial in same numbers for example then your image could look totally different to mine as I will have softer sharpness and contrast on the screen.

Ok session 1 Is just a typical Portrait touch up this is the before and after following this video with an exception at the end I did not have time to put in on the video I also applied a photo filter adjustment layer set to the first cooling filter at about 20% set the layer blending mode to overlay to make it pop out more and then lowered the opacity down to personal preference.
portrait enhancevideo.png

Here is my psd from start to finish if you want to check reference without the cooling filter be warned it is 200 MB in size
79073_fashion_8423_122_737lo.psd
Here is the image I used
http://img109.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=79073_fashion_8423_122_737lo.jpg

And The tutorials

Part 1

part 2

part 3

Please If this is a good idea let me know If you do not like it also let me know this has taken over 12 hours to make SO I do not want to waste my time in the future if no one wants to watch them.

I like it. I'm not much of video watcher. I prefer writen tutorials (it they are understandable) because i like to read :) But i understand that for complicated thing they are so hard to make. Like 100 screenshots. Big plus of video is that it's easier to understand what it's all about. Because some step in writen tutorial are so bad described but in video you see which layer, which filter etc.
I would say go for it (i'm too lazy to do anything like that). For someone it can be very usefull.

I checked psd. I like to explore such things. It so intresting to click things on and off, like a toy :)
One moment i don't understand, it's layer "Color Balance 2 (merged) copy 2". it's a big improvment of sharpness and details (some highpass probably) but if i want to know it i can watch video to get that, so don't explain it :)

And intresting layer/group structure. That's coincidence but it looks like one i described in one advice some time ago. Great mind thinks alike and stuff probably.

Anyway, excelent work.

Yes you are right there is a high pass filter there and an unsharp mask I included it in the eyes group hence no name for it I got lazy towards the end. However I am a big fan of selecting several layers pressing Control +ALT + E to merge them all together but yet still keeping the individual layers below that way if later on I find something I dont like I can find the last actual destructive edited pic I liked and then rebuild it from there. And THank you for your words of encouragement I thought this would take about an hour or 2 to make but each video I had to re record about 5 times as I had gone over my 15 min limit per video. HOwever I believe Vimo lets you upload videos upto 1 hour so next time I will just do it all in 1 go and save a lot of time. IT is also harder than you think when you have to give instruction on what your doing as well as editing it really slows your work flow down.

Thanks Guys but honestly I dont think it is worth all the effort that goes into it if people are not prepared to watch the long videos 12 hours work for 4 views hardly seems worth it now. BUt then you never know unless you try these things always looking to do something new.

I don't understand idea but technic and how it look itself is amazing of course.
Another one for me - "i wish i could do that".

Just some poly fx morphs and some cubes with a couple of text elements. It is actually very basic and simple.

I can tig weld aluminium with a point weld of less than 1.5mm consistently over any given distance (power cable allowing), that's easy for me to say as i have been able to tig and mig weld for the last 20 years or so, you try it and i guarantee you will melt metal.

Guys,
I also agree with him Because i'm also able to Tig and mig weld for certainly 10 years or so.and truly if you try it you will melt METAL....

What gas you use in tig weld mate?

Thanks for the tutorial.
I normaly just go layer, layer, layer and another one lol.
Learned some new things there, and also my preference to watch a video tutorial I can pause and skip back.
I realy like this one, so people can actualy see where to caution certain parts to touched up and things like that.

You did a realy good job there.

Dreamers.

Back