What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for a beginner in Web Design

dogmatics

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forums, and to graphic design as well.

I'm looking to start designing websites in my city and since I already know the programming, all I need is the graphic part.

Knowing the ammount of tutorials that are out there, it's a bit overwhelming for a newbie. So what I ask is just a few tips, books or tutorials for people like me.

What's the first thing I need to make web layouts, logos and what not.

Well, that's about it for now, hope to be more active around here, and thanks in advance for the help!

Hi DM and welcome!

What apps are you planning to use for the graphic side of your intended web design? (somewhat rhetorical)

Begin by doing web searches using specific parameters, for instance......

Photoshop (or appropriate app) web layout tutorial
or.....
Photoshop (or appropriate app) logo tutorial.

Also, after you get results from your search, I find that if I switch to an image search using the same parameters, I can get visual ques as to what I'm specifically looking for or what appeals to me.

Once you find an interesting tutorial, do it! Do as many tutorials as you can! Practice, practice, practice! I often do tutorials that I don't particularly care for, and I almost ALWAYS learn something I did not know and am happy I did the tutorial........even though I didn't like the results!

Last edited:
Hi there dogmatics..

As your going to be doing web design in your city it would be good to do some graphic work for them for sure .. However ... as you are already a coder/programmer, i personally would out source the graphics for the sites.

This leaves you to concentrate on building your business in stead of spending time learning software such as illustrator, Photoshop, fireworks and more, let alone learning the basics of graphic design it's self, then there's typography . color scheming, white space, the rule of thirds so on and so on.

Logo's... this is an art in it's own right.. there are company's out there that are just dedicated to LOGO design alone.

BUT.. if you have the time and really want to do it then i would recommend you do what IamSam has already said.

did you try lynda.com interactive tuts.. I learn photoshop and Illustrator using their tuts video.. You can try it too, good luck!

Lynda is a quite good site to learn photoshop, Illustrator as well. I've downloaded many tutorials from this site. You should must check it out.
Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back