What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour transition?

Bluie

Hello Concerning the image here http://www.bayingwolf.com/BlueSmall.jpg - if I had 3-6 similar images in a row on a Web page, I was hoping to show this wine glass in dark-blue as image (1) and the same wine glass as image (6) but coloured, say, lime green. In between these two 'extremes', how would it be best to show how one colour 'morphs' into another, so, for example, one of the wine glasses may be turquoise. I am just trying to illustrate a kind of 'transition' from one colour into another. The images are likely to become part of an online slideshow. Thanks for any ideas. Sorry for posting the link - but I was unable to upload the image.

The easiest way I can think of is to fill layer with a gradient, and set the blend mode to Color. I had to select the glass - in fact I selected the white background and deleted it. Then make the copies and space them out (do you know how to use the spacing options with the Move tool?). I selected all the glass layers and made into a single smart object, so I could Ctrl click that layer to load it as a selection, and with that selection in place, put a layer mask on the gradient layer. That clips the gradient to the glasses.

Glasses.jpg
Layers.JPG

Note that the gradient layer is set Color.

That looks great, Trevor. Thank you. I know how to use the move tool, but I wouldn't know how to get that exact spacing that you have achieved. I will try out your technique above. Thanks again! Appreciated!

The example shows a very subtle colour transition. If you wanted a more obvious transition, you'd need to clip a Hue saturation layer to each of the glass layers and adjust the Hue. Use the numeric value on the right of the slider to obtain an even change between each glass layer.

Last edited:
That looks like a great link Trevor - I would never have found it. I'll try it out tomorr ow and post back. Thanks for all your help.

The easiest way I can think of is to fill layer with a gradient, and set the blend mode to Color. I had to select the glass - in fact I selected the white background and deleted it. Then make the copies and space them out (do you know how to use the spacing options with the Move tool?). I selected all the glass layers and made into a single smart object, so I could Ctrl click that layer to load it as a selection, and with that selection in place, put a layer mask on the gradient layer. That clips the gradient to the glasses.

View attachment 37370
View attachment 37371

Note that the gradient layer is set Color.

Thanks Trevor, this is very useful for me-

Back