What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting Photoshop and a Redfield filter

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I started with a photo of a horse, used some PS brushes, the fan mixer brush and finally applied Redfield's Finetouch filter in Colorize mode. Ended up with this kind of traditional look. Some comments from y'all would be nice. I appreciate your input. Horse FT.jpgHere is an edited version based on Clare's and Tom's comments.
Horse-Painting-Adj-1000px.jpg

Last edited:
Looks just like a painting! Very nice lighting on the horse. This looks such such fun. I keep saying I will try it . . . Maybe you should make a tutorial!

The one thing distracting me is the amount of white around the legs and hooves. Just a little more edge halo than needed. I know, it's a painterly effect and has that kind of primitive art affect which I like, but it just draws my eye to the bottom of the horse instead of that expressive face!

Yeah,that does look kinda weird,,I don't think it looked that way until I squashed into a compressed Jpg. It amazes me sometimes how things change when they are compressed. I actually compressed it twice. I took it from a Tiff into a JPG and it was 4mb. I have something called Advanced JPG Compressor that does a good job, but I'm sure when it arrives here, it compressed some more. So things get to looking kinda funky sometimes. Otherwise I'm glad you liked it! Thanks
Looks just like a painting! Very nice lighting on the horse. This looks such such fun. I keep saying I will try it . . . Maybe you should make a tutorial!

The one thing distracting me is the amount of white around the legs and hooves. Just a little more edge halo than needed. I know, it's a painterly effect and has that kind of primitive art affect which I like, but it just draws my eye to the bottom of the horse instead of that expressive face!

Hey, Larry - They are just getting better and better! Very nice, buddy!

One suggestion: If you want to avoid the tender mercies of the forum preview generation software, I suggest you down-rez your images yourself in PS. You'll be much happier with the results.

Also, with your work getting so good, you probably shouldn't be posting full rez versions. Just post your own down-rez'ed version (longest dimension less than 700 px) and you kill two birds with one stone: better quality AND image protection (nobody can do very much with a 700 px image other than view it on the web).

To let you see the difference between auto down-rez'ing by the forum software and DIY in PS, I down rez'ed your image and attached it below. I also lifted the shadow areas a bit to see the browns of the horse better. I also added a bit of grain to give some texture. See what u think.

Tom

PS - Arghhh. In retrospect, I now see that I should have just lightened the horse, not lightened shadows everywhere. Lightening all shadows mucked up the nice shadow work you put into the LH tree. Anyway, it was just meant to give u the idea, not be a final version.

Attachments

• Horse_FT-tjm02_full_rez_then_697_in_PS-697px_wide-01.jpg
    Horse_FT-tjm02_full_rez_then_697_in_PS-697px_wide-01.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 28
Tom,
Thanks so much for the input and the nice compliment. It means a lot coming from you and Clare.
I played around with this a bit more and made a couple of adjustments based on your and her comments. This is a rezzed down version to a 1000 pixels. The original I created was 3300 @300ppi as my intent was to print it as a 11x8.5. Remember the other horse I did? I printed it and framed it as a 14x11 and this is one is going beside it on the wall. So lets see how this looks in comparison to the initial image. Posted below first image.

Hi Larry -

One thing about the forum down-rez'ing / compressing software -- from the experiments I did when I first started participating on this forum, it appears to be a completely ON / OFF thing. Below ~700 pixels in the long dimension, it's completely OFF. Above ~700 px, it's ON and the artifacts are present. Their strength doesn't seem to make a huge difference whether you are feeding it with an image that's 4kpx on a side or 1 kpx on a side, so I don't think you are going to see much difference going down only to 1000 pixels. If you want to be absolutely sure it's off, you have to go down under 700.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,
OK, I'll keep that in mind about 700 px. As I mentioned in the original post it was Redfield's Finetouch..which is free, by the way. They have it in 64 bit too.
BTW, which Redfield filter did you use?

T

Back