What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make wood look wet.

excell

I want to achieve the effect where the chopping board looks like it has been splashed with water (kind of like in the photo of the drawer). How would I go about achieving this.

wo.jpg

wet.jpg

Wet, at it's base, is only a color variation..........usually darker. This is easily done using a "wet Layer" which is a darker color layer with a new blending mode option.

Color/wet layer. Color was sampled from the board itself.
Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 1.51.49 PM.png

Set to Soft Light blend mode.
Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 1.49.49 PM.png

The color, it's blending option, and it's opacity can be changed to meet your needs.
This is a good starting point.

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 1.56.39 PM.png

I just finished mine. Very similar idea as @IamSam.
  • Duplicate your image to a new layer. Change the new layer blend mode to Multiply.
  • Apply a layer mask and fill mask entirely with black.
  • Then paint with white in the mask to reveal darker (wet) areas.
  • You can even have the wetness spill over onto the gray background (which I did accidentally in the upper-left).
  • Optionally, add a Vibrance adjustment layer, clipped to your wet layer, and crank-up the saturation.
Something like this:

wo2.jpg

I went a different route -

First separate your cutting board from the background and place on a separate layer

1701116040449.png1701116128915.png

Now using a clipping mask, apply a hue and saturation layer...increase the red saturation, decrease the lightness, and increase blue saturation:

1701116454523.png

1701116613502.png

You'll get a slight staining effect: Mask out the parts you don't want/need :

1701116779584.png
Now create a curves layer, apply a clipping mask, and drag the left slider to the right to deepen the "stain".. Apply the same mask as you had on the hue/saturation layer
by holding down the alt key (option on mac) ad dragging it up to the curves layer.

1701117119698.png

Here;s where I ended up:

1701117171085.png

You can play with the settings to change the effect. Bit more complicated than @IamSam and @Rich54 but just another option....

Countless ways to do this in Photoshop. I made a ragged selection and lightened the dry part of the board (curves adj layer), so the original darker hue is the wet part.

wetboard.jpg

how did you make that ragged selection?
I used a small, rough brush. I forget which one, but it was something like rough charcoal. Set brush opacity to 50% or so and just scratch along the edge. I use a pen and tablet, so it's a lot easier than using a mouse.

edge.jpg

Back