What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making all lines the same color-value

NBA4b1ER

Hi there

I have a short question which I couldnt find a solution for as of now.

Lets say I have outlines like seen in this image:
Screenshot 2023-11-06 125615.png

I would now like to make all those lines the same color value.

I have something like this in mind:
Pick the color value of one of the lighter (greyish) lines. Take a brush set to that color-value and paint over the whole area.
Whenever the lines are darker, they will get the ligher grey color defined.
If the lines are already that color or lighter, nothing happens brushing over those areas. The color picked should work like a treshold.

Is there a functionality in photoshop that can do this?
It doesnt have to be like described above, this was just an idea I came up with.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Regards,
NBA4b1ER

Hello and welcome.

Use, Select > Color range to select the darker values. Once you hit OK, you will be left with a marching ant selection. On a new layer (set to Lighten), use your Brush Tool set to the lighter color and start brushing.

Before
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 12.00.38 PM.png

After
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 12.00.49 PM.png

Here's another, perhaps simpler way.
  • Set your foreground color to the light gray shade of your choice.
  • Open a new layer and change the layer blend mode to Lighten.
  • Use a soft brush and paint over your image. You don't need to paint carefully. Whatever is darker than your foreground color will be painted over. Whatever is equal to or lighter than your foreground color remains unaffected.

Here's another, perhaps simpler way.
Yes. For some reason I forgot about this technique. Much easier. Easier still, just fill the blank layer set to "Lighten" with the desired color using, Option/Alt + Delete for foreground color or Cmd/Cntrl + Delete for background color.

Edit: Also, based on the description, I wasn't sure that this is what the OP wanted.

Another possibility (I don't have Photoshop available right now, so I can't test it): Open a blank above that B/W image, set blend mode to Color, fill with whatever color you prefer. I think Color mode will affect only the gray tones, not the pure white.

Another possibility (I don't have Photoshop available right now, so I can't test it): Open a blank above that B/W image, set blend mode to Color, fill with whatever color you prefer. I think Color mode will affect only the gray tones, not the pure white.
FOOTNOTE: I might have misunderstood what you're after. You said to make all the lines the same color value. Did you mean the same luminance value?

Open a blank above that B/W image, set blend mode to Color, fill with whatever color you prefer. I think Color mode will affect only the gray tones, not the pure white.
Not working.

Hi @NBA4b1ER

Here is another approach (two variants) to consider.

Add a second pixel or solid color Layer above your original image.
If all you wanted was a Tthreshold effect, add a Layer Style to the Top Image, use lower white Blend if Slider and move it to the left until you have the desired threshold as shown below:

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.52.00 AM.jpg

If you want a gradual change instead, hold down the option key on the left side of that same Blend If slider and slide the left half to the left for the result below.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.52.33 AM.jpg

As others have mentioned, if none of the options members have shared with you represent what you want, please be more specific in your request.
Hope this helps some
John Wheeler

Yet another consideration for me was is if the lines are on a transparent background. Then a clipped Color Fill adjustment layer would do the trick...............but I was not sure if the sample image was from combined layers where the "hair/lines" was on it's own transparent layer or if the white BG was still part of the image. Initially I assumed it was still part of the image.

Note: A transparent BG could possibly be a better scenario if the OP was wanting to color within the lines.

Lines on transparent BG layer
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 1.26.04 PM.png

Lines color changed with clipped Color Fill Adjustment layer.
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 1.26.15 PM.png

Of course with a white bg layer added.
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 1.30.09 PM.png

Back