What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about an action.

xrhyme

Let me explain my situation in the full picture. So I have an image with some text, which should be translated in 20 different languages. So I decided going with data sets and setting variables. The thing is, that on every language words are with different length, so I was looking for workaround.

That is how I got into this topic https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/dynamic-font-size-to-fit-within-box.52961/ where @SCTRWD explained eveything step by step. And you can see in this thread that he suggests using an Action so the text could be transformed into a custom shape.

I did everything as it should, but when I'm recording the action and on delete step it just records "delete current custom shape"
1649778193780.png

When I execute that action it pops up with the error i mentioned above.

I hope that expains my situation.

Thank youu!

HI @xrhyme
Debugging Actions is very similar to debugging software and from my experience can often tough todo unless one has access to all the information (at least for me).
Other forum members may pop in with some suggestions yet for me to be productive in helping debug you issue, you would need to supply/attache the PSD file in the exact condition right before you start the action and also a copy of the ACTION file. One can save the Action file from within Photoshop and also attach that file in a response to this thread. Then I or a forum member could step through what is going on right in from of us on our own computers and verify the same problem and help track down the source of the problem.

I know that is some extra work for you to take yet I don't think I could help much without those files.
John Wheeler

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. In the past days, I found a solution to that case. I think it's even better.
Instead of creating a custom shape with an action, I decided to go with a smart object. That way I'm keeping the editing option for the text.

So basically, the steps for my action look like this:

1. Activate the current text layer.
2. Convert this layer to a smart object.
3. Open the smart object.
4. File->Automate->Fit Image (set the size of the container where the text should fit
5. Save
6. Close
7. Export

That way I finally could generate all needed translations using Data sets.

Thank you!

Back