What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Great Photo Restoration!

gedstar

Guru
Hi All

Going to post this Before and After here, probably not in the right place, but just want to show the OP what you guru's here are capable of.
So here's an image I found from Google, found this to be quit a challenge and spent about 4 hours on it, so hope you guys are up for the challenge
@MrTom since the OP hasn't posted I thought maybe this might keep you happy.

Original
View attachment 49572
My Attempt, not perfect but OK I think, have fun guys
View attachment 49579

Last edited:
Re: Is this even remotely possible? HELP!

That will do for starters!

Thanks gedstar.

Regards.
MrTom.

My attempt. Trying to maintain facial features and tone was kinda tough. Maybe this will help you.
View attachment 49598

Attachments

• torn12.png
    torn12.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Well here's my attempt.
As usual I've left a few of the creases in around the edge so as not to completely lose that 'old photo' charm and appeal.
Done in just under 3 hours.

torn1_A_03.png

FULL Size Is Here

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Best yet Tom. Care to elaborate on your technique? I'm impressed with the overall smoothness and tone of the image. That was my goal but you outdid me.

Well here's my attempt.
As usual I've left a few of the creases in around the edge so as not to completely lose that 'old photo' charm and appeal.
Done in just under 3 hours.

View attachment 49646

FULL Size Is Here

Regards.
MrTom.

Care to elaborate on your technique?

Thanks ALB68.

Sure, but there really isn't much to elaborate on to be honest.

All I use is the 'Clone Stamp' and 'Healing Brush' tools.....the 'clone' does the rough "get the pixels there" bit and the 'healing' does the fine tuning...smoothing and blending.

Careful use of both is the key, little and often seems to work best.

I usually start by duplicating the BG, lock the original and then add a new layer. This new layer is where 'cloning and healing' takes place. (Tools set to 'this layer and below')

Once I've done a small section I'm happy with I'll save the psd, then 'Stamp Visible' (this then becomes the new BG), add a new layer again, (the next clone and heal layer), and start on another small section.

Then its just rinse, spin, repeat till its done.

Nothing more elaborate than that I'm afraid.

Regards.
MrTom.

Inspired by Mr Tom's version of this, I decided to try and improve my methods a bit. Here is a colorized version I came up with,
Edit : Used Topaz Clean in the skin smoothing mode also
torn1 (1) copy.png

Last edited:

Actually pretty much what I do. I set my spot healing brush to Replace and Content aware. I think I did that first one with the smaller photo. I think slow and careful is the key. I tend to be impatient sometimes and it costs me quality. Good work !
Thanks ALB68.

Sure, but there really isn't much to elaborate on to be honest.

All I use is the 'Clone Stamp' and 'Healing Brush' tools.....the 'clone' does the rough "get the pixels there" bit and the 'healing' does the fine tuning...smoothing and blending.

Careful use of both is the key, little and often seems to work best.

I usually start by duplicating the BG, lock the original and then add a new layer. This new layer is where 'cloning and healing' takes place. (Tools set to 'this layer and below')

Once I've done a small section I'm happy with I'll save the psd, then 'Stamp Visible' (this then becomes the new BG), add a new layer again, (the next clone and heal layer), and start on another small section.

Then its just rinse, spin, repeat till its done.

Nothing more elaborate than that I'm afraid.

Regards.
MrTom.

Actually pretty much what I do. I set my spot healing brush to Replace and Content aware....
Yeah, pretty much although I tend not to use the 'Spot Healing Brush'.

Content aware is good, but for me it never seems to be aware of the image I'm working on and just does its own thing.
You don't have any control of the source...it just gets pixels from what it thinks is the closest...which for me at least is never any where near.

With the 'Healing Brush' though, I control the source of the healing....this helps tremendously with something like the following image...the detail of the source is preserved.

healing_brush_A_01.png

I'd do the rest of this with the 'Clone Stamp' tool as using the 'Healing Brush' too close to high contrast edges tends to lead to all sorts of nastiness....but for the most part, its excellent.

Regards.
MrTom.

You can try this, when using the spot healer, I actually use the eraser tool to remove the offending pixels. Then when replacing with the spot healer, the pixel source is basically what I want to match and not confusing the issue by painting over what I want to replace. It amazes me sometimes as how intuitive this tool is when using this procedure.
Thanks for your reply, nice to see how other people do these things.

Yeah, pretty much although I tend not to use the 'Spot Healing Brush'.

Content aware is good, but for me it never seems to be aware of the image I'm working on and just does its own thing.
You don't have any control of the source...it just gets pixels from what it thinks is the closest...which for me at least is never any where near.

With the 'Healing Brush' though, I control the source of the healing....this helps tremendously with something like the following image...the detail of the source is preserved.

View attachment 49741

I'd do the rest of this with the 'Clone Stamp' tool as using the 'Healing Brush' too close to high contrast edges tends to lead to all sorts of nastiness....but for the most part, its excellent.

Regards.
MrTom.

The only tool that frightens me more then the Pen tool.

Sent using tapatalk

My primary tools I use the most are in this order,

• Clone Stamp Tool
  • Brush Tool
  • Healing Brush Tool
  • Spot Healing Brush Tool

The Clone Stamp Tool is so configurable using Opacity and Flow that it's hard to beat. The Brush Tool should only be used in circumstances when re-creating textures. It's a matter of zooming in and copying the pixel structure, simply painting in a solid color will not look right. As MrTom stated, I try and stay away from the Spot healing Brush Tool, it simply has some visible problems matching the surrounding texture and tends to leave areas of wide use splotchy, it was designed to perform it's namesake. The Healing Brush Tool is much more controllable in being able to select the source.

In the end it's about the results. Use the tools that get you to the best result possible.

It's results that count. I am constantly trying different things to achieve good results, some work, some don't, Your right about the Spot healer and textures, it really sucks at that.
My primary tools I use the most are in this order,

• Clone Stamp Tool
  • Brush Tool
  • Healing Brush Tool
  • Spot Healing Brush Tool

The Clone Stamp Tool is so configurable using Opacity and Flow that it's hard to beat. The Brush Tool should only be used in circumstances when re-creating textures. It's a matter of zooming in and copying the pixel structure, simply painting in a solid color will not look right. As MrTom stated, I try and stay away from the Spot healing Brush Tool, it simply has some visible problems matching the surrounding texture and tends to leave areas of wide use splotchy, it was designed to perform it's namesake. The Healing Brush Tool is much more controllable in being able to select the source.

In the end it's about the results. Use the tools that get you to the best result possible.

...The Clone Stamp Tool is so configurable using Opacity and Flow that it's hard to beat...
To be honest with you I've never changed the flow nor opacity for this tool, but I do make use of the 'Clone Panel' which allows all sorts of adjustments....offsets, rotation and scale....not to mention being able to save previous sources....although I never actually do.

Regards.
MrTom.

I use the Clone source panel as well. You must try adjusting the flow, it really helps in blending.

This is a small section of an image that needs some help. This section can put up quite a challenge as it has many variations of damage and requires a lot of interpretation.
Give it a shot for practice.

RestorePractice_04.jpg

Nice jobs every one, and interesting comments back and forth.
I just haven't got the stamina to join the challenge these days.

No worries Chris. These restoration challenges can get a bit time consuming.

Back