What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reduce file size of 1,400 pics at once

sifa123

I'm a newbie here, and hope that some of your expertise can help me out.

I just got back from a trip where I took about 1,400 pics (Nikon D300) each of which is about 2.4mb. How can I save them in bulk to a smaller file size? I need to send them unedited to my Daughter so she can look them over and tell me which ones she wants.

Thanks for any ideas.

Action, then Batch

Hi!

1. Put all your large files in one folder.
2. Create a second, empty folder for the smaller files.
3. In Photoshop, open one of your photos and open the Actions panel.
4. Press the "Create new action" icon at the bottom of the Actions panel. Give your action an appropriate name.
5. Image > Image Size.
6. Reduce the image size as you wish.
7. In the Actions panel, press the "Stop playing/recording" icon.
8. Close the file without saving.
9. File > Automate > Batch
10. For Action: select the action you created.
11. Source: Folder, then click on Choose... and navigate to your folder of large images.
12. Destination: Folder, then click Choose... and navigate to your empty folder for smaller files.
13. Click OK and watch Photoshop do all the work!

Good answer by bluelobster.

Go to File–>Scripts–>Image Processor

Pretty straightforward.

Good overview here:
I can't post links yet, but google this:
How to Quickly Make Many Pictures Smaller/Reduce File Size in Adobe Photoshop CS5 By Willie Pena On March 4, 2012

Can be combined with bluelobster's instructions, as there's an actions option at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well even though This has nothing to do with photoshop but I will recommend this Free and awesome utility for reducing picture sizes :

RIOT

it's just 1 click process and amazing results.

I just tried RIOT, it's a great option!

However, I seem to be having some issues with the quality.

When I follow the instructions of the link I gave above, using the photoshop image processor, I got better results with the quality and size. I chose "JPEG Quality: 1", + used an action to reduce the file size to 60%.
When I tried to do "JPG: 10%" or put a max limit of the image size (a great option), that didn't output as high quality photos. I could have gotten the pictures as good quality, but I think they would have had to be larger than the results I got in photoshop.

I'd experiment with both RIOT and photoshop if you can and see which one does a better job. Try riot first, because it's easier, and if it's good enough, just use that.

Can someone tell me how this thread acquired NINE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED views ? ! ? ! ! !

Wow,

Tom M

Attachments

• Huge_number_of_thread_views.jpg
    Huge_number_of_thread_views.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 14
Seems whole world is looking at this post, but very few pocess the skills to answer it !!!

Back