What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove netting in front of camera

Redfoot

Hi,

I have a photo that was taken through some green netting and was wondering if there's any way to adjust it so that the netting can be a little less distinct? Here's the photo. Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm using CS2 by the way.

CIMG2275.jpg

You could try sharpening the image,maybe just select the guy and make another copy (layer) of just him and try to add color to just him in the areas that need it then use the fill or opacity levels on it to bring out the other layer with net in place MAYBE

Using Elements 10 -
Go to Enhance
Adjust color curves - select a style = default, adjust sliders (highlights + increase to the max, and shadows decrease - to the max)
Again go to Enhance
then go to color variations - decrease green 3 times

This is what I got -

Improved Image.jpg

One of the best ways to remove periodic artifacts from an image is through Fourier transform techniques, e.g.,

http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/fourier_transforms/fourier.html#noise_removal and
http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00ZkUz

Since Trueshooter already obtained very nice colors, I used a Fourier technique on the luminosity component of his image to further reduce remaining periodic artifacts. I used the plugin, FFT.8bf (and it's inverse).

The periodicity in the left half of the image is clearly different from the periodicity in the right half. In particular, I couldn't tell if the periodicity in the right half might actually be real and should not be removed (eg, part of the structure of the inflated material), or is truly unwanted. I guessed it was unwanted, so I removed it.

I should also point out that for the Fourier method to work, the periodicity has to be exactly the same throughout the image. The vertical periodicity clearly is different near the central dark cable. That is why periodic artifacts remain in this area.

T

CIMG2275-tjm01_acr0-ps01a-03_FFT_etc_color_correct-512px_wide.jpg

I'm still working with Elements, so when I visited the Fourier Method link mentioned by Tom I found it almost overwhelming. Especially when it explained the process in mathematical formulas. It will be a while before I get to that level. Meanwhile, I played with the image a little more. This is a great site. I'm glad I stumbled upon it.
Improved Image2.jpg

Hi Trueshooter and welcome to PSG! We're glad to have you here! Your comments and participation are important to all of us, however, please be very mindful of the posting dates of the threads your commenting on. This thread is a few years old and it's more than likely that the original poster may no longer be active or has, in a few years time, moved well past the issue they were experiencing at the time of the original posting.

Someone may benefit from the great help provided so no sweat!

I didn't even notice the date of the post as I was brought here from a link on a Google search. I found the subject and the site so interesting I decided to join and participate. I appreciate the heads-up as well as feeling so grateful for a site such as this which offers the collective knowledge of so many experts. I've been using Photoshop for at least 10 years (a self learner just kind of winging it), and recently switched from Photoshop 5 to Elements 10 a few months ago. I actually thought I was pretty good at using Photoshop until I stumbled onto this site. Now I'm embarrassed to think I was so pretentious. It's just that I've never really known anyone who did Photoshop. I'm not a techie and don't know any, I'm just an old guy who likes playing with photos and trying to figure it all out. But now that you mention it I'll certainly be more mindful of the posting dates. Meanwhile, I just appreciate this community.

No problems! Jump right in! You now know a bunch of people, old and young alike, who all love using and working with Photoshop! We're glad you found us!

Trueshooter and Tom...you did a good job to enhance this image......but Redfoot, the threadstarter didn't bother to thank you for your efforts. He just took your picture. To prevent this, I strongly recommend to watermark your job.

chris said:
Trueshooter and Tom...you did a good job to enhance this image......but Redfoot, the threadstarter didn't bother to thank you for your efforts. He just took your picture.

Love a great sense of humor Chris!

Trueshooter and Tom...you did a good job to enhance this image......but Redfoot, the threadstarter didn't bother to thank you for your efforts. He just took your picture. To prevent this, I strongly recommend to watermark your job.

Hi Chris - I'm not a big fan of watermarks. If I want some image that I have worked on to show reasonably well, but essentially be useless for anything but amateur uses, I just downsize it to < 650 pixels, even if it was originally posted at much higher resolution. If someone wants to make a little 4x6 print out of it, or view it on a screen, I usually have no problem with that. They certainly aren't going to do much more with that few pixels. OTOH, if I were making images that are used at small size, eg, buttons / avitars / etc., I would operate differently.

T

Chris said:
It's the truth, it happend to me before. We are here to help others to improve their Photoshop skills, but not to do the actual job for them.

Errrrrr...........sorry Chris I thought you were joking! The original OP posted this thread in September of 2009...........he had one post. It's been close to 4 years now, I'm not sure he's around to thank anyone or take an image.
:)

Errrrrr...........sorry Chris I thought you were joking! The original OP posted this thread in September of 2009...........he had one post. It's been close to 4 years now, I'm not sure he's around to thank anyone or take an image.
:)

Mmmmh...I am the idiot of the day.shame on me.

No, your not an idiot! I have done this before myself!

Back