What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding filling a shape with pattern

sidetown

this is not a hard one, but it is hard for me to figure out. i would like to find out how to fill a shape with some patterns exactly like how it looks in the below picture. As you can see, the filled pattern pictures(those small hearts) are not overlayed and the sizes are random. And the edge of the shape(that's the big heart) is just smooth. Could anyone explain how to do it? Thanks a lot!!
nagradna_igra_podravka.jpg

crate a heart shape, define it as brush, play a little with size, scattering and angle in brush options and fill your heart with small, random size and random angle heart brush, then finish the details manually with smaller hearts, remove unnecessary ones etc and you are done ;]
3hc

Hey ST,

This effect is fairly easy but it's involved. Notice the hearts within the heart do not overlap or touch. They don't touch the text either.

Here is a quick video I made showing how I would approach the project. I made it rather fast so excuse the quality.

There may be an easier way, like pattern fill, to accomplish this but I did not have time to explore this. Maybe someone else will have a better idea!

It's rather long and the blurriness will clear up after a few moments. Hope this helps!

crate a heart shape, define it as brush, play a little with size, scattering and angle in brush options and fill your heart with small, random size and random angle heart brush, then finish the details manually with smaller hearts, remove unnecessary ones etc and you are done ;]
3hc

Making a Heart shape brush would make the hearts overlap. Notice the hearts in the image have specific orientation and they dont seem to be scattered everythere.

Good option though :thumbsup:, I had almost forgotten about this option. :cheesygrin:

I do think it's quite possible that it is made by hand. I do think that only one half is done at a time and then duplicated and transformed/flipped. See the repeating pattern in the middle? There are a few small variations but that could be manipulated. Well, anyway, that's my guess. I remember this pattern question coming up once before. I'll see if I can do a successful search.

I do think it's quite possible that it is made by hand. I do think that only one half is done at a time and then duplicated and transformed/flipped. See the repeating pattern in the middle? There are a few small variations but that could be manipulated. Well, anyway, that's my guess. I remember this pattern question coming up once before. I'll see if I can do a successful search.

Hawk Eyes..... or should I say bee eyes 15.gif

Man this image is awesome anyway I suspect a custom Pattern fill...

I really don’t think this image required that kind of discussion;] it’s a 10 min of work. Make a heart shape and on separate layer fill it with little hearts using whatever is easier for you. Even manual labor with rotating and changing your heart brush size will not take longer than 10 min.

Last edited:
This was a manual fill and not a pattern fill. Clare is right, I believe one side was done and then flipped. But remember, you still have the issue with the text inside the heart.

3HC said:
I really don’t think this image required that kind of discussion;] it’s a 10 min of work. Make a heart shape and on separate layer fill it with little hearts using whatever is easier for you. Even manual labor with rotating and changing your heart brush size will not take longer than 10 min.

Yeah, that's what I did. I allowed Size and Shape jitter to do the rotating and size changes for the brush. It took less than 10 minutes.

Back