What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove black.

redlink

I'm currently deployed in a computer came in the mail broken so I'm unable to do this. if someone could take away the black background to make it white or transparent it would be greatly appreciated.
1356343698711.jpg

I tried using the replace color to make it white but It seems that the smoke kind of effect needs to be recreated. I would to do it, but i am a little tied up at work and unable to do it.

I am waiting for someone else to come up with some other way which I can't think of right now and get this sorted out quicker than expected.

Stay connected..

not sure if this is what you want but here you go

Attachments

• lizard.png
    lizard.png
    296.6 KB · Views: 1
There are a number of final looks that would all fall under the category of "changing the black to white", but I went with this particular approach:

• Select the bkgnd (incl smoke) with a sharp edge on the critter.
  • Desat and invert just the bkgnd using the mask created in the previous step.
  • Apply curves to just the bkgnd to optimize the smoky effect.
  • Reduce the JPG artifacts in the smokey area that have now become quite obvious because of the manipulations.
  • Sample the blue of the critter.
  • Using the color just sampled, add a new blue/cyan color fill layer (color blend mode) over everything. Adjust the blend-if sliders to keep the whitest areas from taking on a blue/cyan look.
  • Optional (I like the effect): apply reptile skin. (It is a reptile, not some sort of mutant ninja squirrel, isn't it?)
  • Optional (I got lazy and didn't do this): improve or completely replace the smokey / cloudy area.
Because this was only a little technique demo, I cut corners in lots & lots of places, but this should give you a direction to head in should you like this look.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• 1356343698711-black_to_white-01_ps01a-02.jpg
    1356343698711-black_to_white-01_ps01a-02.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 43
computer came in the mail broken so I'm unable to do this.

Why do you need this immediately? If you wait for you computer, then you will have the great experience of following the different suggestions you've been given. They're good and you'll learn a lot.

here you go just add a white BG and it should look fine.
lizard.png
all i did was first separate the lizard from the smoke
then inverted the color of the smoke (that inverts the black to white and the blue to yellow)
then just change the yellow back to blue using the "Hue/saturation" tool also the "Color Balance" tool

Here is the alien, extracted from the image without any background what so ever, so you can put it on any background you like.
View attachment 25650
Because the bit you wanted is blue, you click on the blue channel while holding ctrl, then inverse the selection, go back to the layer with the image on and click ctrl + X. This deletes everything but the blue. I often get asked how to extract smoke from an image, and this is it. The whole process should only take a minute as it is so simple, cutting out the need to play with curves and hue and other such things. Happy Christmas!

Last edited:
sprucemagoo1, I wonder if I could convince you (pretty pretty please with cherries?) To post your workflow on that one? I read your instructions, but I'm not sure I'm following entirely... Could you post it at super dummy level? Thank you sooooo much~~~

Also. is it possible to do such a thing when your'e talking about an image which say, for example, had some green or some red in it, not just the blue channel? Always up for learning new tricks :)

I'll post something in a bit with pictures and all! Though when the thing you are trying to extract something that is multi coloured, it gets slightly more complicated.

Back