What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to blend a daytime and nightime pic

kar1zma

i did a photoshoot of a car at dusk time at a very boring location

i have background of nice city landscape at night
how do i blend in the car in the nighttime landscape so it looks real

how do i remove the reflections from the car especially the areas
where the sun is hitting the body

i know its a bit complex but please help me out here
thanks

Kar1zma, use the "insert image" icon in the reply window to post your examples so we can deal with your edit directly instead of using general terms that may not apply.

ImageUploadIcon.jpg

Sam got it....a mask will get the car, but you will have fun with reflection removal

And depending what the reflection is like, You can mask out the areas and play with layer adjustments. If need be, clone tool reconstruct unwanted areas before creating masks and applying adjustments.

Masking the interior and applying brightness adjustment to darken the look may help.

Night-City-Landscape-Wallpaper.jpg thats the backgound i selected

i wanna put the car in the bottom right corner
this is the pic of the car
045resize.jpg

i started by cropping the car and placing it on the background
and then i was lost.
it looked bad. the car needs to fit the color scheme of the backgounrd
it needs to loose the reflections and glares

so please tell me how and where do i begin

As you did make a copy of the car image, place over background make new car layer i painted out shine and sun reflections then lowered opacity, added a new block colour layer taken from background area reduced opacity of that.
picked lights area from background on a new layer placed and stretched over side of car, reduced light and transparency.

nighrider.jpg nightrider:mrgreen:

This request would require a lot of explanation on almost each step! Far too many to describe here!
So I will summarize until you ask a more specific question.

I first removed the car from it's background.
I then removed it's reflections with the Clone, Brush, and Smudge Tools.
I moved the car over to the City image with the Move Tool.
I added a Curves and a Brightness & Contrast adjustment layers, I used their masks and the Brush Tool set to a low flow to lighten the car and leave the rear of the car darker.
I then Used the Rectangular Marquee Tool to select an area of the lights to use as a reflection in the car.
I used the Move Tool an the Free Transform function (Perspective, rotation, free transform) to adjust the light over the car body, I lowered the opacity so I could see where I was positioning.
When it was where I wanted it, I used a layer mask and the Brush Tool to eliminate the areas I did not want on the car.
(Note: The reflection is off, but I'm not going back to fix it right now!)
Finally, I highlighted the uppermost layer and hit Shift + Option + Command + E to stamp visible layers to it's own layer.
Then I used the Blur Tool on the edges and the front of the car.

CityLightsCar_01.png

Last edited:
the works are great and im not complaining
but the car still kinda looks fake
it has not blended in the background

iamsam has done a great job but the car color dosent match the overall color of the
background . ive been trying to find a real pic of a similar scene so we can study the
actual lightening effect on the car

i also feel the cars angle may not be correct for the background and may always
look fake due to the angle at which the pic was shot

..but the car color dosent match the overall color of the
background

I wasn't trying to match any colors, that's for you to do in your edit of the car.

..i also feel the cars angle may not be correct for the background and may always
look fake due to the angle at which the pic was shot..

The cars wheels are on the ground so the angle and perspective is correct. Note that the concrete slopes. You can place the care at any angle and perspective you desire in your edit.

We're not trying to make a perfect image for you, I only spent about ten minutes on my version.
We are providing you with ways you can make a perfect image for yourself!

Why don't you post your efforts on this project.

..but the car color dosent match the overall color of the
background

I wasn't trying to match any colors, that's for you to do in your edit of the car.

..i also feel the cars angle may not be correct for the background and may always
look fake due to the angle at which the pic was shot..

The cars wheels are on the ground so the angle and perspective is correct. Note that the concrete slopes. You can place the care at any angle and perspective you desire in your edit.

We're not trying to make a perfect image for you, I only spent about ten minutes on my version.
We are providing you with ways you can make a perfect image for yourself!

Why don't you post your efforts on this project.

i cropped the background and placed the car
looks better now
but im not able to give a uniform color of the color
i wanna remove the reflections and get a uniform color for now

i cropped the background and placed the car
looks better now
but im not able to give a uniform color of the color
i wanna remove the reflections and get a uniform color for now

So show us and let us make a call on the image please, what we do here is give you images to work with NOT images to walk away with.

And don't forget to get rid of the reflection of Jupiter. You can only see Mars after midnight I think.

P.s. Venus would be the brightest planet.

Last edited:
So show us and let us make a call on the image please, what we do here is give you images to work with NOT images to walk away with.

hay paul thanks for ur support
i wouldnt want anyone to give me the final image too
im here to learn from the gurus and sharpen my skill

however ive been trying to burn or smudge the areas on the car
to get a uniform color
im just messing it up. hence im stuck a little guide in the
right direction would be helpful

edit: did a little searching and found a way to make the car body color more
uniform by using gradients
so im on with my work

Last edited:
So show us how far you are with it?

srt night in process.jpg

here we go
gotten the color uniform (sorta)
next step would be to match the cars color under the orange
lights maybe give it a shadow to give it a real look
now it looks just planted in the background it needs to be blended in

any suggestions

Remove all remnants of daylight from the back of the car, especially the lights.
Remove side reflections from car also, then add street lights to the car via reflection, reduce brightness of windows and add some light reflections from the distance maybe? then do the final colour blend.

Back