What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush styles in PS CS6 and PS CC versus PS CS

hrlefevre

I just upgraded to MAC OS Mavericks, only to discover that Photoshop CS is no longer supported. I have kept CS because I had a brush that I used to create a variable width stroke on a path that tapered at both ends. I've used it several times to create some nice logos etc.

I simply haven't been able to duplicate it in PS CS6 or PS CC. I even tried copying the settings from CS and entering them into CS6 and CC, but it hasn't worked.

I've attached an image with a sample of the line style in hopes that someone can tell me what I'm missing.

I'll be eternally grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks

hrlefevre

Attachments

• P-J BC back.jpg
    P-J BC back.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 1
If you are using a Wacom (or other) tablet with stylus pressure and/or angle and/or rotation sensitivity, it's relatively easy to make such tapered lines by mapping one or more of these properties to the brush width.

T

Unfortunately, I sold my Wacom Cintique tablet because I wasn't using it, however, I have been able to do it in Photoshop by using a brush stroke on a path - that was prior to the OS X upgrade.

Apologies, hriefevre. There was a reply but deleted by the member because of an error in his reply and image sample.

I'm sure the member will post an appropriate solution to your question a bit later.

I found a solution that I'll share with anyone who's interested. I looked on Youtube and found that you can't create a line that tapers to a point at both ends using the brushes panel when you stroke a path in the path toolbox.

First you have to go into the brush settings panel and select the shape dynamics option. then make sure all of the sliders are set to 0, and set the first control option to pen pressure.

Finally, instead of stroking the path in the paths panel, right click on the path and select stoke path from the menu. a box will pop up with a check box next to Simulate Pressure. With the Brush option selected, select the okay button and, voila; a perfect tapered line. I hope this is useful to someone.

hrlefevre

Last edited:
Hi hrlefevre, I'm the member who made the post and then deleted it.

I misread your original post and was under the impression that you were needing a brush that would work in CS6 and not that you needed a way to re-create a technique.

I remade the image you posted into a brush, so if you need it, let me know!

Back