What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Creating 3D shape without PS Extended

Parinaa

Hii everyone,

I'd like to create a cube, but unfortunately, I only do have the normal version of Photoshop.
How can I create an exact cube? I played along with Skew..Distort, but the result won't be exact. :(

Is there even a way to create a 3D shape in the normal version of PS?

Thanks

Try using perspective.

Make your square on one shape layer. Copy this. Change the color -- you can change it later, but this will help keep your edges clear. Make guides or use grid.

cube1.jpg

and use perspective to change the side of the cube. You can finesse this as you go. I can't give you a guideline for having the perfect dimensions.

cube3.jpg

At this point I used the grid just to keep parallel lines. Still using transform, hold down ctl/cmd to distort the shape to fit into the side view of a cube.

cube4.jpg

Now copy this layer and again, change the color. Rotate till you get it oriented and moved over like this:

cube5.jpg

Use the same transform command, ctl/cmd and move the corners till you line it up as you want it.

cube6.jpg

At this point, you may want to finesse the size and orientation so just use transform as needed.

cube7.jpg

I know this isn't perfect, just a quick representation.

And, as usual there are many ways to get the same ting done, so doubtless you will get more responses. WOuldn't be surprised if some are easier and faster than these. :devilish:

Attachments

• cube2.jpg
    cube2.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 1
Verry Good!

Here's another way.

To me, it's a matter of geometry. Horizon and vanishing point(s), depending on the number of point perspectives.

This is a one point perspective.
Open a document fill with color of choice.
Decide where you want your horizon to be, above, even, or below the cube.
Then drag yourself some guide lines into position.
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 8.21.51 PM.png

Decide where you want the front of the cube and it's size.
Again I use the guide lines and the rulers to measure.
Make sure you have snap to guides turned on.
On a new layer, use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to create the box, fill with color.
Name it "cube front plane"
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 8.24.43 PM.png

Now we need to create some perspective lines.
Choose your Line Tool, set the tool mode to shape, fill color black, stroke off, and weight 2px.
Starting from the vanishing point, create three lines to the corners of the cube front plane.
The tool will create a new layer for each line, we will turn this off later.
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 8.26.10 PM.png

Next you add some new guide lines, one for the top of the cube, and one for the side of the cube.
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 8.42.43 PM.png

On a new layer, Choose your Polygonal Lasso Tool and click on each corner of the top of the cube plane.
When done, fill the selection with a color, hit comnd/contrl + D to deselect.
Name this layer "cube Top plane"
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 8.27.34 PM.png

Repeat for the cube Side plane.
On a new layer, Choose your Polygonal Lasso Tool and click on each corner of the side of the cube plane.
When done, fill the selection with a color, hit comnd/contrl + D to deselect.
Name this layer "cube Side plane".
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 8.28.42 PM.png

Your done. Turn off the line (shape) layers.
Clear your guides. (Go to VIEW > CLEAR GUIDES)

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 8.29.51 PM.png
Of course there are variations you can do with shape tools.

Good lord Sam. So simple. Much better. I'm so far away from my art education, I had forgotten a principle so germaine to drawing, paininting, photography, architecture, et al. Thanks for that.

Now I want to remove my post. :redface: :rolleyes:

Don't remove it!

It's still a good way to do it using the transform function. I think it's very helpful!

Well, now that I see your vanishing point (vanished far into the recesses of the senile mind ... not yours), I can see how the transform info on using perspective and shortcuts to skew and distort are good information to someone learning to use the transform commands. But I would not use it again to make a cube. It only takes about 6 times longer to do it that way.

Here's a two point perspective cube.

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.12.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.14.30 PM.png

Missed one edge..........oh well, that's what I get for working too fast!

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.15.07 PM.png

Not trying to show off, thought the 2 perspective view without the written instruction (since it's the same) might be helpful to the OP.

You ever have those silly things you learn over time that just stick with you? Perspective is just one of them for me. You should remember that I was also a freelance Illustrator for many years (multi-media but mostly airbrushed), so the principle was put into practice on many occasions!

Back