What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Warp or Wrap Text to a Whirlpool/Funnel

Vmusic

Hi,
I want to create my own image like the attached. I can create the whirlpool /funnel (or black hole, or whatever it's technically called). I know how to make the color bands and all that.

What I don't know is how to wrap the text. (here's the text is just a zero or one to represent data).
FYI - I have PS CS6

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Confused in Charlotte

black-hole-05.jpg

black-hole-04.jpg

There are two methods:

You're going to have to dig out the pen tool for the first one. First, use the pen tool to draw a path along the lines of the whirlpool. Select your type tool and the font you want. When you hover over the path you'll see the type tool cursor change. Click on the path and start typing. The text will follow the path.

Second, if all you're looking for is random text or numbers, create a document with just the text, rasterize, and warp it to suit.

Hey Sierra, I have tried for some time now to create this effect in Photoshop, so I'm really interested.

Once you have the text on the path, how do you rotate the text from a flat position to a standing position?

How do you make that one text layer into a whirlpool? I've managed a tunnel, but that's about it.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 10.45.56 AM.png

Last edited:
Can you explain how you did that SCTRWD? Thanks!

What do you think Sam? Maybe add radial gradients before using Warp Transform?

Sam'sTunnel.jpg

The gradient might add emphasis to the tunnel illusion......

addendum...... Try warp transforming an elliptical selection.

First...Thanks for all of the help and great discussion.

While I know 3D is tough........I wish photoshop did better in applying a "skin" or "texture" to an object. By applying I mean one click. By one click I mean make a selection, and then apply it to a 3D object. I also wish photohop had a face, and a body as 3D objects, and it let you "map" a 2D image to the set of 3D objects, and then you could apply the skin/texture to it.

I hate making another layer blah blah blah..... it's so lame.

Thanks Again - I'll try it when I get home from work.............
:yourock:

Ahhhh man........... I took your whirlpool.psd - I got the 3D object, I got extruding it, I got tapering it.................but come on SCTRWD, how did you "texture" it??????

Start with circle shape, then 3D->Repousse. Open the Repousse dialog in my example to see the params.
Then just open Extrusion texture and make any changes you want.
Rotate the model any way you want, add lights, etc... Add some Twist in Repousse dialog if you want spiral effect
Here's more simple and clear version(I hope:)) with tiled texture:

Attachments

• whirlpool_1.psd
    4.8 MB · Views: 53
Thanks for helping..... What version of PS do you have? I have a properties dialog of the 3D object. I do know you need an image of ones and zeros - but where do you "attach" or "set" the image as the texture for the shape????? See Screen Snapshots below?

TileShape-01.jpg

TileShape-02.jpg

First...Thanks for all of the help and great discussion.

While I know 3D is tough........I wish photoshop did better in applying a "skin" or "texture" to an object. By applying I mean one click. By one click I mean make a selection, and then apply it to a 3D object. I also wish photohop had a face, and a body as 3D objects, and it let you "map" a 2D image to the set of 3D objects, and then you could apply the skin/texture to it.
:yourock:

Well, Adobe went it's own way with 3D:) It's "tough" and somewhat strange, no questions about it:) It lacks a great deal of explanations and precise measurements... It's oversimplified, it hides the important things from you and thus is sometimes not at all intuitive in the ways it behaves....

But it can be handled once you've explored it and found it's limits and peculiarities...

Some 3D things are much easier and quicker in PS then in some other 3D progs...

There are lots of face and body models in the Internet, so there is no point demanding it from Adobe...

I suggest you read the manuals on 3D in PS or just use other 3D programs like Cinema4D and such...

Back